What do you do for a living ???

Geeze, lot of talent here!

I'm retired from the Navy, I was a Cryptologic Technician (Maintenance). In English, that's an Electronics Tech with a really fancy clearance.

Retired in 1990, haven't decided just what I want to do when I grow up. Worked at a number of jobs including Network Administrator, Computer Consultant, Industrial Maintenance Supervisor (in addition to doing the Electrical and Process Control work), Weapons Handler/Small Arms Instructor and at the moment I'm working the front counter for a building supply/lumber outfit.

Made the best money in the computer biz, but the stress was eating me up. As others have mentioned, I made a conscious decision that I'd rather be happy than rich, took a massive pay cut and never looked back.

J-man Electrician. Live in the economic powerhouse of North America (Saskatchewan Canada). Province has only a population of over 1 million. Both big cities around 220,000 If you are a tradesman and can breath your hired. Work is 5 minutes from my house, and the pay is awesome. 10 years and no layoff in commercial electrical. Potash is booming too, industrial pays even better. Payed off the car, small mortgage, new garage in spring, toys toys toys, 28....Life is goooooooooooooooood.

Whoa... "What do you do for a living?" is the question I most dread. I mean, I know what I do; I just don't know what to call it...
I build, repair, maintain, and manage personal assets for private clients who have more money than time. You could say it's like being a property manager, except that the properties are mostly yachts and cars, with 2nd/3rd homes thrown in.
On a bad day, it's like working for ten different micro-managing bosses who each want everything yesterday with no regard for what it will take me to accomplish it. On a good day, it's like being paid to play with big-boy toys. Most of the days are somewhere in-between, but it's still pretty much the most awesome gig I've ever had... Came into it from the custom yacht biz.

Let's see.... I've been in the automotive aftermarket for about 20 years. Worked for NAPA and the rest. Now working inside sales for a large performance distributor based in Pensylvainia but working in the Canadian office in Mississauga. Always tinkered with my cars and modded everything I've owned. My DD is a 2002 Ford Focus dropped 3" with OZ wheels and an MBRP exhaust to name a few of the many mods. 2 kids with another on the way.

For the last 12 years I have worked in Community Based Mental health, providing support for individuals living in the community with serious and presistent mental illness. Usually it's always interesting. Won't get rich but I have what I need and am grateful for it.
Before that 10 years in small engine equipment repair, sales and parts sales. Still do a little bike work and small engine stuff on the side from time to time. I've worked in packing plants, lumber yards, kitchens, manufacturing plants, and store stock rooms. Believe me, when I die, one regret will not be that I worked too hard or too much.

Been an Army Mechanic for the past long 6 years. Only 14 more to go untill I get to transfer over to the two-wheeled engines. My XS is going to be my first and not my last build.

I am a retired heavy equipment operator. Now I teach for the Pa. Motorcycle Safety Program in the summer and work on my bikes in the winter.:D

For the last 12 years I have worked in Community Based Mental health, providing support for individuals living in the community with serious and presistent mental illness. Usually it's always interesting. Won't get rich but I have what I need and am grateful for it.
*clicks the "like" button*. :)

I do something similar, avocationally, in web-based support, and it's unequivocally the best thing I have ever done for myself, let alone the peeps I try to support.

TC

I work on Asphalt Plants. I know about truck drivers!

I've hauled in and out of asphalt plants-- the stories I could tell of drivers driving trucks off the sides of the scales, forgetting to lock the hoses when unloading tankers, running into the hopper supports, driving away before the asphalt stops flowing...

Makes us look pretty bad so I won't..

I dropped out of college my junior year (3.0 gpa) to get married (lasted 6 months) and took a job in a local paper mill. I lost a few fingers and moved from floater to machine operator to Electrical and Instrument Technician, that lasted 10 years. I then went to IH (International harvester) as a floater on the assembly line where 4000 of us were laid off after 14 months. Unemployed for 11 months (during 9/11) The state paid for my training and I took a help desk job with a manufacturing company for 7 years. I was crappily pay and overworked, so when the opportunity came to work for the Gov. I took it, now I am a TCNO (Time Compliance Network Order) Technician with no overtime and good pay. It took me almost 20 years to get to a job I am happy at and a second marriage going on 15 years now.

Back