What do you do for a living ???

I'm a Registered Nurse, I work in intensive care. Otherwise I'm a full time husband and father of three. Once in a while I make it out to the Male Crisis Center to work on one of the three XS650's I have, neither of which is rideable at the moment :banghead:

Graduated from high school in1968 became licensed motorcycle mechanic in1971 Was in first group to be licensed in province of Ont.Worked in trade untill 1978 then went to Caterpillar dealer untill 1980 back to motor cycles till 1986 then Returned to Cat dealer till 1991.Went from there to aToyota lift truck dealer untill 2005. Took what i thought was a retirement job at www.batemanmanufacturing.com .I build diesel or hydraulic powerd generators which are used in the scrap or recycling industry to power DC magnets. We also build many different attachments for the heavy equipment industry .Check out our website you may find it interesting

Crazy diverse group here. I'm a 27 year old trying to finish his Masters in Law Enforcement while 3.5 years employed with the Fed. Bureau of Prisons as a CO. It ain't glamorous but it pays the bills...and there's enough OT every week that I can pull 72 or there abouts hour weeks on the regular. I love OT!

I've had a part time business making prototype machinery for a couple of clients for the last few years. I recently quit doing that and have started to hack up an old Yamaha. That business has now become a rather substantial hobby shop. My day job of the last 22 years has been as a machinist in a couple of university shops. I've enjoyed working with young people over the years. I used to help mechanical engineering students at the University of Wyoming with their senior design projects. Some of these were Formula SAE and Mini Baja race cars. The last 12 years I've managed a machine shop in a physics department. I'll work at the day job another 4 years then probably pick up the LLC again, part time and work on my bus and old Volvos and BMWs and hot rods and motorcycles.

I'm a service advisor at a Toyota dealership and the single dad of a very precocious 14 y/o daughter. Dang, that kid is smart! :yikes:

I recently was the service manager of an independent Mercedes repair shop. I'm glad those cars are such ragingly expensive piles of German shit, it definitely kept the place in business and I enjoyed the job for the most part. But the owner is a real tightwad and wasn't willing to get off his wallet to keep me even though I bumped his gross income numbers up so I sold my overpriced house, moved 100 miles up the road and went back to making some real $$ for someone other than him. Like me. :D

I'm looking into possibly starting a business. As much as I'd love for it to be in one of my hobbies of motorcycles and race cars, the fact is that in any economic downturn the first spending people cut is their toys and I don't want to depend on that type of discretionary spending to put my kid through college. But people will always have to eat or have a place to live and they will always drink. :wink2:

I'm a Waterplant Operator for a large city. Been at my place of employment for over 15 years now and just turned 39. Another 16 years and I'll have 31 years and be 55 years old. I will retire when I'm 55 and not 1 day older. I want to be able to enjoy my retirement..lol

I will retire when I'm 55 and not 1 day older. I want to be able to enjoy my retirement..lol

I always think of my aunt, who was fired about a week prior to her retirement... I guess she was messing up for 20 years and they finally had enough...

I always have told myself that money will not stop me from enjoying life. I have a plan for retirement and it does not involve the home that I built or the property that I own. As long as my children are set, I will not need what I have now.

I'm a Waterplant Operator for a large city. Been at my place of employment for over 15 years now and just turned 39. Another 16 years and I'll have 31 years and be 55 years old. I will retire when I'm 55 and not 1 day older. I want to be able to enjoy my retirement..lol

You definitely have your priorities correct. I was having some health issues, and took early retirement at 54. Best thing I ever did. I now feel better than I ever have. I enjoy my family, travel, and my hobbies, and life is good.:bike:

Even though I'm only 20 (almost 21), I do...a lot, and that is an understatement.

Freelance writer, screenwriter, musician, computer geek, entrepreneur, award-winning filmmaker, day trader (what I do now).
I have made a living doing all of the above occupations.

Dream big, achieve bigger! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You definitely have your priorities correct. I was having some health issues, and took early retirement at 54. Best thing I ever did. I now feel better than I ever have. I enjoy my family, travel, and my hobbies, and life is good.:bike:

I'm in a similar situation, and I share your priorities, both of you, though I'm in excellent health, knock wood. I'm in an information technology capacity, but my educational background is counseling psychology, so shoving digital data around all day, for me, is like watching a plank warp. I'll be 56 when I'm eligible to retire (January '12), and I plan to punch out in the spring. Won't miss it for a New York second.

TC

I am a custom woodworker, I make instruments, cabinets, signs and build and repair bikes.
What a diverse group we are!!!:bike::thumbsup:
You never have to work a day in your life if you do what you love to do!!! (my motto)

Attachments

• guitar 013.jpg
    guitar 013.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 116
  • fiddle 006.jpg
    fiddle 006.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 114
  • greenbank kitchen 008.jpg
    greenbank kitchen 008.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Bathgate (5).jpg
    Bathgate (5).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 146
  • dulcimer 2 001.jpg
    dulcimer 2 001.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 109
  • xx 011.jpg
    xx 011.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 110
Wow Mouser,you are a very talented guy! The instruments and other woodworking is beautiful! I've done a little carving myself,but nothing like that! I've set up mobile homes (first real job),body/frame/painter (automotive),fork lift tech,3 1/2 yrs of small aircraft mechanic,owner/ operator antique auto restoration shop,owner operator health club,got back into building bikes again and then worked at Mike's XS for 6 years as prototype parts developer and warehouse mgr. Now i am back building bikes and starting up another business producing custom and replacement parts for the 650 and a couple other bikes.Yes,i get bored easily,haha! i'm very impressed with the wide range of talent and education here!

mouser... beautiful work! I love your instruments! I used to build and restore wood clock cases and some furniture a few years back. That guitar reminds me of my Larrivee L01.

TC

Back