What do you do with others personal private info?

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
You have been given someones personal private information.
You have a name, address, phone number etc. of someone you occasionally contact.
Do you feel any responsibility for the safe keeping?
How/where do you store it?
Your phone? Your computer? Or on a piece of paper in the tool chest? Written on the wall of the shop?

As usual no real purpose to this post, justa wandering mind.

Justa wandering mind?

That confirms it. Those Canadian cold fronts do funny things to folks in the lower 48.

If your confidant has an address and phone number, they're already in some system, somewhere.
And, some Russian group has been selling it on the black market.

Next question would be, do you have a security issue? Are people rummaging thru your stuff?
Who would want this info? Why? Is it valuable? What are they willing to do to get it?

And why do you have it? Is it part of your job? Then encrypt it.

Or, put it on eBay, 99¢ start, no reserve....

Hi 'rider,
depends on how it's sent, eh?
I owe it to the correspondent to keep it as secure as it was before.
If it's in a letter, I writes it in my address book.
If it was sent over the net it's already been broadcast to the world and I save it on my e-mail contacts list.

Hi Fred,
Yes I can understand that.
Part of this was the fact I have recently acquired a used piece of hardware.
Totally amazed at the amount of personal info that was left on it.

But like TwoMany and you pointed out, it is already out there.

Others personal info hmmmmm.....dont know if any of you have burner phones or use them but ..you should see the crazy amount of info left on these things...so far i've had phones with a few bank account numbers ..lol not partials but full inputed fields of banking info...i could trace what appears to be a dozen or so drug deals and the descriptions of the dealers car and where they frequent...technolgy and the ability to abused it has reached a level now its best if you're concerned about security to just go off grid..not totally but if extra phone security is needed cryptophone are always your best bet..or theres a geeksphone called the "blackphone" supposed to be a secure a you can buy today...they do land lines and cells...ensuring only the craftiest and heartless hackers get your info...but i digress

Part of this was the fact I have recently acquired a used piece of hardware. Totally amazed at the amount of personal info that was left on it.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me about three years ago... I bought an external hard drive at a yard sale for $6. The seller said it hadn't worked in months, and claimed not to know what it had been used for. The housing was cracked, and the power supply was junk, but I though I could salvage it.

Stripped it out, hooked it up to power and eSATA, and whaddyaknow, a working 1Tb drive about 30% full of very private info: financial records, investment meeting notes, spreadsheets detailing years of real estate dealings, lists of bank accounts, drafts of wills, etc.

I was fairly stunned. Should I return the drive to the owner? Should I just delete it? What if the info was important to them, and not backed-up elsewhere? Would they be angry, wondering what I might have done with the info? Would they believe that I hadn't copied it? Would telling them either way just embarrass them? I didn't know them, but they're a couple I see around town often enough, and every time I saw them, I'd cringe a little inside.

Ultimately, I decided to do what they should have done in the first place and wiped the drive with a low-level format before properly re-purposing it. The same drive is still in my media server as an ext4 volume full of movies.

I never told the previous owners. At best, I'd be educating them. At worst, I'd be opening myself up to accusations and hassle. In any event, people would be getting seriously stressed over something easily avoidable. I guess that's how I'd like it to go down if the shoe was on the other foot.

Ultimately, I decided to do what they should have done in the first place and wiped the drive with a low-level format before properly re-purposing it...

Good on ya! You took the high road. Don't cringe, instead pat yerself on the back for being the honorable 'silent' security agent of their data. They don't need to know, but if so, tell them that you properly destroyed that data on their behalf, as a service to them.

I'm reminded of the dumpster divers that would collect the carbon sheets from those old credit card swiping machines. When that news broke, people were put on alert about the naive assumption that disposed garbage is "out of sight, out of mind".

Imagine the implied security responsibilities of your local trash hauler...

Well I don't write or store any secret info in my mobile nor computer, I just keep it in mind. As much as possible I don't share info to anyone just to be safe.

I've had similar encounters, on and off, over the years I repaired hardware - I'd be given drives that "no longer worked, might be good for something or other" and in several cases they came good and I put them back into use for myself. However, any time I found stuff on them that might have been valuable to the former owners, I'd tell them, and run off a copy of the files for them.
On a couple of occasions, the owners were really glad of that, as it was the only remaining copy of family pics or some documents. I'd not have wiped them without asking.
It always suprised me how many people never, ever backed stuff up - nothing's changed, even now.

I send the addresses and numbers in to telemarketers hahahahaha.. Na I normally shred the labels..

Back