What have you done to your XS today?

Step #10, of a 20+ step process.
XS1B-TankFix03.jpg

MAJOR FAIL!

Looks like the MEK leached under the wrap and prep-seal.

Oh, well. Will continue with the Caswell seal.

And contemplate in agony...

View attachment 110092

MAJOR FAIL!

That's a real bummer, I've used caswells many times with great results but have always washed with soapy water and drywall screws, then dry washed with rubbing alcohol to absorb excess moisture, then air-dry, this for painted tanks , for tanks I am going to paint I use acetone.
Really feeling bad for you and the paint job.

Made some axle spacers, clamped long straight edges on front and rear sprockets then lined them up to get a good wheel center and straight position. For a bike a few old timers here may recognize. (not much to go on, :unsure:)
DSCN8475.JPG DSCN8476.JPG DSCN8474.JPG

Was just using it to get some wheel dimensions for the star mags but couldn't stand the crap spacers the PO had in there. And just maybe an excuse to play with the lathe.

Last edited:
GggGary, is that your QCTP locking handle in the pic?
GggGary-QCTP.jpg

If so, did you know that if you re-index it 90° clockwise, then it won't interfere with the forward dovetail tool insertion?

GggGary, is that your QCTP locking handle in the pic?
View attachment 110132

If so, did you know that if you re-index it 90° clockwise, then it won't interfere with the forward dovetail tool insertion?
Yes I just found tonight that you can move the handle to all four 90's any time the tool holder is off the post. I am really scratching my head over the trigon insert holders grizzly supplies with the lathe. In order to use them the tool post has to be set off of a perfect 90 which kind of defeats the qctp idea. :umm: :doh: Prolly going to get some different holders with a better angle. The whole carbide insert dealy is a deep end of the pool learning curve! Didn't have the QC parting tool here yet so finagled a ground 3/8" tool into the holder, it worked well.
these guys have lots of info, http://www.carbidedepot.com/Inserts-C1.aspx still scratching my head a lot.
think there is a lathe thread coming soon to a forum near us.

Last edited:
I pulled the transmission out of the old case and got it installed in the new case. For as much as I was agonizing over the job, it turned out to be relatively easy. The two gear sets just lift right out, the shift forks came out and went back in surprising easy. Now i just have to wait for another $250.00 parts order to get here and I will button the thing up.IMG_1559.JPG

Step #14 in a (God know how many) step process.
Caswell's Dragon's Blood tank seal.
XS1B-TankFix04.jpg

Not sure if I care for all them bubbles. They weren't there when I mixed it up.

The motorcycle tank kit comes with a total of 750cc of epoxy-based filler. I did the whole process within the recommended temp range, at 72°F. This stuff is thick, like honey, Karo syrup, 90wt gear oil. After you pour it in you can't just slosh it around, you have to slooooowly rotate the tank, giving the blob a chance to ooze its way over all the inner surfaces. 10 minutes is barely enuff time to get full coverage.

Then you drain the residue into a catch bucket.
XS1B-TankFix05.jpg

About half of the goo stays in the tank. Fair warning, not printed in the instructions, is that the residue will cook-off after about an hour, maybe sooner, and gets *really* hot. It almost melted my plastic mixing/catch bucket.

This is some really sticky, stout, hard stuff. Thinking afterward on this, and by planning ahead, I may have come up with an additional use for the residue...

View attachment 110092

MAJOR FAIL!

Oh bloody hell!!!

Sort of looks like Mortitia Addams chose the decor.....

Not so much as what I did to the 650, but while my wife was wrapping Christmas presents for the kids last night I did a little helmet art. It’s a Bell Custom 500 3/4 helmet in all flat black and I have found it boring since the day I brought it home two years ago. I started doodling on it with a piece of chalk and then just decided to get out the oil paints from my wife’s art stash. I used to be very artistic growing up, but as I got older it’s just one of those things I don’t make time for anymore. Anyway, I just freehanded it for fun. I’m not done yet but it takes quite a while for the oil paint to dry. I just ran it down the middle of the crown and still have two large areas on the sides to work on later. No idea what will go there though.
D24E6B1A-4ABC-47B4-91E3-EC244F7DB4E4.jpeg A6E59F77-4B9E-4FF1-846E-EBADB778568C.jpeg 1A9A9F30-4A71-4A6F-9AEE-7ACD094622E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Back