What have you done to your XS today?

Well I did a little work on the 1978. Pulled the rear master cylinder and caliper and cleaned the mud out of them. Had a caliper kit from Mikes from several years ago so that got new seal and boot. There was only a few very minor pits in the chrome that are outside of the seal area so figured that was good for now.

Not sure if rear master kits are available now but back when I bought the parts from Mikes in 2008, did any one say I was a slow worker?, they were not available. So I just disassembled it and cleaned everything nice and shiny. No pits and rubber parts seemed good.

Pads looked pretty go so for now left them in place.

I was having a problem trying to bleed the brake until I noticed that fluid was coming out the threads of the bleeder but not the end! I thought I had cleaned it but there was a little plug of gunk down in the bottom of the center hole. After cleaning that out good this time with small drill bit seemed to bled just fine.

Major improvement, hit rear brake and let up on peddle and rear wheel turns free. Before had to wack the caliper a couple time to get it to release enough to let me push bike by hand!

Guess the next things I need to address is the oil leaking out of the top of the front forks and remember where I put the front caliper and front brake lever. Might have "borrowed" them for the 1982 Work bike sometime in the last ten years! That bike is now in parts out in the barn so that's where I look in the morning.

The two jobs after those will be to clean the carbs that have not had clean fuel in them since probably 1997 as that is the last time this bike was registered and on the road. Oh yea! still need to install the new wiring harness!

...you are making the entire watch, gears and all.

Man, it sure feels like it.

More teaser pics.

Nylon gear too wide, cut down to 2mm.
20180225_162037.jpg 20180225_162433.jpg

Made a double roll-crimp wheel that fits into my tubing cutter.
20180225_180517.jpg 20180225_180434.jpg

Brass tubing, 2mm ID, 3mm OD
PTFE tubing, 1mm ID, 2mm OD

Now - why the heck would a web forum dedicated to the restoration and enjoyment of 40+ year old motorcycles have any connection to a machine for curing ED? :wtf:

....wait, uh, oh yeah. :notworthy::zzz:

Never mind - I get it.

Back