What have you done to your XS today?

I don't know why but there was a thread a few days ago with an embedded video of this Ichiban moto dude. I can't get it out of my head. It was so cringe worthy. He didn't use a singe tool other than some pliers. Then the end was insane how he put what looked like sticky sandpaper "brake liners" on his rear shoes. Seriously I am having nightmares thinking about about people like that who are out there.
Just another teaser pic.

View attachment 135145

Attachments

• 127635-535c6c7d3da5e3ea5b5de8aa457c6a36.jpg
    127635-535c6c7d3da5e3ea5b5de8aa457c6a36.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 120
Lol... I like watching the Ichiban Moto videos. Took me a while to understand his satirical approach. They are all fairly cringe worthy but get you wondering how plausible some of his techniques could be. We’ve got some real shade tree mechanics around but Ichiban wears the crown!!!

OMG... It just blows my mind how some people can think like this. At least put those spoons in a drill.

Seriously I paused it halfway to type my response then I saw the "my ring micrometer". Why not just use a real micrometer?

What the heck is that heating duct tape to achieve a bigger piston? I am %100 sure anything that man works on will have siezed brakes and seized engine...
Here ya go.
Maybe this'll help...

Last edited:
I remember I stumbled upon my first one a few years ago and it took a few views to realize it was a spoof. I think it was his “rubber restoration” video. The beauty of his videos is that some of his methods seem *almost* plausible with just a little imagination/ignorance. So much so, that for someone NOT mechanically inclined, they might actually look legit! Kind of the epitome of the folly of the internet age.

Went to HF today, got a digital micrometer. Backup multimeter, gloves, flip socket for lug nuts, nylon wheel, and led light.

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_123453.jpg
    IMG_20190217_123453.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 131
Made a thingy to pull dents out of a tank. Not my original thinking, just something I copied from YouTube:
Step 1: Heat the dent and bolt head with a hot air gun and then apply hotmelt glue to hold the bolt in place
Bolt.jpg
Step 2: When glue has set (approx. 5 minutes) fit the thingy over the bolt. Fit a nut and wind the dent out
Puller.jpg

Conclusion: Works well but may take a couple of applications of the bolt.

Trade Secrets: The 6mm bolt I used was put in the lathe and concentric groves cut into the head to enhance the adhesion. Preheating the dent and bolt head enhances the glue adhesion. The thingy is made from a piece of rectangular steel tube with a 6.5mm hole drilled in the middle and two pieces of wood hotmelt glued at each end. Could be made from hardwood if you have no steel tubing.

Costs next to nothing to make, but you may need to buy another XS with a dented tank to test it out on.

Ive been looking at this shallow pushed in dent for years thinking it could be pushed from the inside ?
The paint is still great, so far.
The Harley shop said it would be easy to pull with their stick on puller for $100 .
After awhile they said " that Yamaha tank is thicker and stronger than the Harley tanks". They nicely gave up and gave back my $100.
The "Ichiban" inflated inner tube in the tank method cought my eye too.

Attachments

• 20190219_095519.jpg
    20190219_095519.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 118
Okay, I’ve been reading over the top end rebuild thread by Jim the last week or so. I am a little concerned about the metallic oil I’ve found from my last oil change. Seems the likely culprit is the front cam chain guide. I’m to the point where any more money I sink in my bike I’ll never get back. I’m well over 3000.00 invested. I’ve never torn into an engine before, and I don’t have a shop or garage. I do have experience with removing/installing the engine from the bike with the lay down method when I built my chopper. I’m not scared to take the engine out and bring it inside. I have a TC bros engine stand. My question is this- assuming I didnt run into any serious issues in the cylinders, is it likely that if I were to take the top end apart just to replace the cam chain tensioner that I could get away with just doing a light honing and replacing the rings? Is it that simple? Do I need to replace the cam chain while I’m in there too? Can I reasonably do this on my own in my apartment without serious tools? My bike has such good compression and everything is in such good shape it seems a shame to break open the jugs. If I do though I have to see it through and I need to have a reasonable expectation of the cost and my ability to re assemble it. Having a fresh top end, basically a “new” engine would make the bike that much more awesome and dependable. Looks like rings and a new chain wouldnt cost that much, maybe around 100.00 I already have all the top end gaskets from that old top end kit I bought at 5Twins suggestions. The only gaskets I’ve used from it are the cam cover gaskets. Anything else I’m missing or overlooking?

My bike has such good compression and everything is in such good shape it seems a shame to break open the jugs. If I do though I have to see it through and I need to have a reasonable expectation of the cost and my ability to re assemble it.
If the cylinder base gasket isn't leaking, it's not burning oil and compression is good.. you could carefully remove the head and leave the jugs in place. As far as cost... it's best to plan for the worse and hope for the best. As for skillset, that's a judgment call on your part.

Ahhhhhhh. Ok for some reason I didnt consider that! Obviously I’m going to need to break the cam chain to remove the head and replace the front guide. Is that easy enough to do with the right tool? Then I can access the guide and just replace the head and retorque, correct? That doesnt sound too bad at all, and not very expensive either. God this winter is eternal! I am really getting the itch.

You'll need a chain breaking/riveting tool.
As I said, plan for the worst. Removing the head without disturbing the cyl. base gasket is tricky business.... especially for someone who's just learning. Don't take this wrong but since you've never done it before... you might want to plan on rings and base gasket.

Back