What have you done to your XS today?

Had a couple of H2's just out of high school, what a bad combination, though I never crashed on one. Had a 72 Norton at the same time, hands down the better bike!
Umm sorry thatxs650guy.

LOL. No worries gggGary. The H1 is a novelty and fun to work on and ride. Always draws a crowd particularly with those beautiful stainless expansion chambers. My friends always ask me to start it up to get that two-stroke smell in the garage. My favorite quote about the triples:
The Mach IV (H2) is the quickest, most intense; most single-purpose street machine ever built for general consumption, a screaming, purple-eyed monster that does everything with a shriek and whose only God is performance. Lay at its feet the hottest production vehicle you can name—two wheeled or four—and the Mach IV will chuckle, snort, and eat it alive.
It's a hoot to ride. When it's sorted that is...

A little spring cleaning.
SpringCleaning.jpg

Got some help assembling a hitch-haul...

I am running slightly retarded, so is my XS's timing.

ROTFLMAO - you made my day Paul. It is a cold wet and very windy (60-80 km/hr+) day here and a rather gloomy +2C and heading down so I needed a laugh.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
There are stupid tasteless philistines and vandals everywhere.

....and yes, I know that it is HIS bike (whoever the f@ck he is) and that he can do whatever he wants with it.

However, it is frustrating to see so many nice old bikes become unfinished “projects” perpetrated by twits who don’t have the skills, money or energy to get much beyond the “cut the ass-end off her and threw on a set of 12” over forks while eliminating the front brake”.

Aside from the fact that this type of bike isn’t to my taste, the more important fact is that instead of creating something that HE might like - all he’s done is ruin something that someone else might love to own and restore.

Stupid selfish git.

Dammit.

Last edited:
All i see in the add is a half finished chopper..........no information relating to destroying a concourse or rebuild-able original bike.........

Gotta laugh though........an H1 that couldn't handle and sticking it in a stretched chopper with raked and extended forks.......if it wasn't a widow maker before it surely will be when it's finished

Are we going to become that site that makes judgment with prejudice...........

Must just about be ride time Pete........

So I’ve been thinking about getting an oil cooler for the bike since last summer anyway, and I thought I would go with the HHB unit, but I took another look at the one offered by mike’s xs, and I was reminded that it uses a common honda PAPER element. Perhaps this would be a convenient way to kill two birds with one stone! (As in trying to catch the aluminum dust better with a paper element material) I know Hugh says he’s found the stock XS screen works better than the paper element, (for his product) but does anyone else have anything to say one way or the other? Any reason NOT to use the heiden tuning setup?

Post #4.........My take on these,so called, "coolers" that replace or include the side case original filter with/or an upgraded paper filter
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-filter-coolers.51898/#post-546542.

I honestly don't think these can be called an "Oil Cooler" in the true sense of the word..........Especially with no recorded information about any cooling affect either done independently or by the makers/sellers

Callin' It a Day
Putting together an engine for my numbers matching (fwiw) 74 TX650A (came to me in bits with no factory paint - which is a mixed blessing) my job today was to reassemble a head for it. After a session of cleaning and lapping, I spent a tense hour or so reacquainting myself with the frustrations of using my valve spring compressor and sticking in those collet keepers.
Tomorrow, a final cleaning of the cases before assembly.

Attachments

• 20190224_175653.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 168
So I’ve been thinking about getting an oil cooler for the bike since last summer anyway, and I thought I would go with the HHB unit, but I took another look at the one offered by mike’s xs, and I was reminded that it uses a common honda PAPER element. Perhaps this would be a convenient way to kill two birds with one stone! (As in trying to catch the aluminum dust better with a paper element material) I know Hugh says he’s found the stock XS screen works better than the paper element, (for his product) but does anyone else have anything to say one way or the other? Any reason NOT to use the heiden tuning setup?
Post #4.........My take on these,so called, "coolers" that replace or include the side case original filter with/or an upgraded paper filter
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-filter-coolers.51898/#post-546542.

I honestly don't think these can be called an "Oil Cooler" in the true sense of the word..........Especially with no recorded information about any cooling affect either done independently or by the makers/sellers

Tzimmerm.
Here is some info from 2m about using paper filters..........2m style
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-filter.72/page-11#post-340944

Later info on how it has held up and performance............post 56.......and go to page #4 for some more alternatives for the paper filter sleves from 5T
http://www.xs650.com/threads/hp-oil-pump-from-mikes.40991/page-3

OMG Doug, I posted that 5 years ago! And, implemented that filter sleeve 2 years before that. Time flies, huh? I change out the sleeve about every 500 miles.

It's been 25 years since I disassembled the rear end.
XS1B-RearEnd.jpg

It needs a new rear tire, have a K70 waiting.
Want to see how my modified swingarm bushings are holding up. Have a new 1-piece-sleeve with bronze bushings kit to install.

I still don't like working in the cold...

Back