What have you done to your XS today?

looks good, can you run a top motor mount with that tank? like those pipes, you make them or buy them

Still trying to get creative with the motor mount, stock will not run for sure. The exhaust, I wish I had the talent, they are pandemonium hot rod pipes.

Still trying to get creative with the motor mount, stock will not run for sure. The exhaust, I wish I had the talent, they are pandemonium hot rod pipes.
I got a tank like that but it is a mid tunnel, I had to form some thick spacers for my tank to rest on to get it to clear the motor mounts.

This weekend I installed a Hughs PMA swap, removed the entire wire harness stripped it down and removed all unused stuff (signal cancelling, old regulator, rectifier, reserve lighting unit etc) and rewrapped it. Fired it up and man what a difference. Idles so much better. Didn't realize I had been running on low voltage for a while.

Decided to do a full tune-up on the 'ol XS1B, plugs, oil, filter, ...etc.

Several years ago found the tappet adjusters chipped/cracked/galled. Reground their contours, hardened and polished them. Wanted to see how they're holding up. Aside from a slight hint of scuffing, they still look new.

XS1B-HardenedTappet.jpg

An interesting post several months ago gave me an idea about another way to set valve lash.

The tappet adjuster screws are threaded 8 x 1.0mm, about 0.040" per turn. That works out to 9° of turn to get 0.001". So, I thought I'd try running 0.003 intake, 0.006" exhaust for awhile (been running a bit looser all this time). Figured to try to run the adjuster down to contact with the valve stem, then back off 30° (for the intake), and 60° for the exhaust, and lock down the nuts.

Checked the resulting clearances with feeler gauges.

Well, whaddya know, two of the valves hit dead-on first try, the other two were within 0.001".

With a snug-fit 4mm adjuster wrench, and some sort of protractor markings on it, could make valve adjustments easier...

Well today I didn't work on her.
I knee was fealing good.
I took her over to a friends house.
We went for a short ride him on his dyna low rider. He told me he really had to twist the throttle t keep up when I was twisting the throttle.
The rings are close to broke in now will be getting to the first oil change.
That should be arond 50 miles.
Took the engine up to 6000 rpms today too.
When she coming thrugh the mid range and getting on the main jets she really opens up.
The power comes on 3800 to 3900rpm pulls very hard up to 6000rpm.
I haven't even twisted full throtle yet.
The engine seams less vibrating than 360 engine. And has more power for sure fresh engine and all that's to be expected. I wish she had a estarter. She would have many more miles by now.
I have had to adjust the valves after each run with this engine.
Not sure as of yet why the adjusters are loosening up.
guess I will torque the head bolts again, adjust the valves

welded on mounts for my new dual output coil. Had a real hard time deciding where to mount the coil. A few days ago I changed out my cam chain tensioner as I have a 76 motor and did not like the fact that I had no locking nut to hold it in place after adjustment. Every time I would screw on the cap it would screw in the tensioner more. I had a 75 motor with a locking nut on it so I used that one. And also put a new spring around the start gear as mine was bad.

today painted the guage support plate. yesterday dropped off stuff @ chrome shop. now waiting to assemble frontend (need chrome stuff) then tune and take around the block. had to ride the roadking after painting the xs parts. life IS good!

I went to napa and got a bolt and 2 nuts the size of the recessed top bolt of my tubes and locked the nuts together and tried to get the caps out. One was stuck and one was easy but got them out. Found I have a missing part in one tube. the washer that sits on top of the springs below the spacer. 1976 vintage. Changed the seals. and added 5.25 oz 10-30 honda oil. Wire wheeled and cleaned the upper and lower triple trees and shot some paint on them. Started cleaning up and sanding down the rear brake so I can polish it. 100 grit 250 500 and 1000 so far. Yesterday I painted the frame and swing arm and brake stay. And Have to decide if Im gonna cheap our and just paint the wheel or get it blasted and powder coated. Probably cheap out.

20141026_131415.jpg

20141026_131403.jpg

20141026_130114.jpg
mounted turns to lower tree and pulled all the wiring out of headlight to clean,wrap in hockey tape and zip tie it under tank.

Took her out for a short ride today (80 miles). She ran pretty good but I am getting some upper (4500rpm+) break-up. i think I may be a little rich with the 140 mains in my CVK's. All in all a good day.

Painted frame swing arm and upper and lower triples a few days ago. With VHT satin black roll bar paint.
Today I did the change to roller bearings for the neck and put the forks on and swing arm and both front and rear wheels. And spot painted a small place I messed up on the neck. Hope its a warm winter for working in the pole barn. I put a double barrel stove in last winter and this fall I drywalled the ceiling and made up a waste oil burner to help take the chill out.

Back