What have you done to your XS today?

image.jpeg
Mounted the little mini shield last nite and then took her out today to see how it works.
I'll need lower than the 5" rise Standard bars to get out of the wind..........

Last edited:
My (relatively new) Samsung tablet's charging/USB port died, on battery power only, saving what I can. I use it for forum interactions, so now down to using stoopidphone. The TDC Finder thread update will be delayed. But, I'll share the findings.

True TDC is much closer than I thought.
Strangely wierd tho'.
Left cylinder TDC is 1 degree ahead of rotor mark.
Right cylinder TDC is dead-on the rotor mark.
Left Conrod has 0.0017" radial play.
Right Conrod has 0.0022" radial play.
These should be just the big ends.
I'm thinking that 0.0060" should be the limit?

I was revving the engine to make a quick get-a-way after a u-turn. Got it up to 3rd gear and saw a flash on the speedo and headlight. Checked the voltmeter and it's reading 11.7v. It's night, so the headlight is on. Luckily, I'm close to home so I make it home on 10.8 V. Good thing I have a spare reg and a 3 phase rectifier. I wonder if those Fiat regs are more tolerant. Hope it's not the rotor! I just got that one on!

Adjusted the air fuel screws to correct the popping on decel, 1/4 turn in seemed to do the trick. I also checked the plugs and seems its running a tad lean, light gray on the electrodes. This bike is factory origanal, correct me if i'm wrong but air fuel screw in should relate to richer mixture. I know these things ran lean from the factory so not expecting the 1/4 turn in to correct the lean condition. looks like I'll be rejetting soon.
That was my latest adjust too. The bike ran so perfect after rebuild, but popped a bit on decel. Simply turning out both the screws 3/8 of a turn and cleared it up.

Unfortunately I have to work tonight so I spent time mowing grass this morning..but I did receive some special loving from the mail lady!

Attachments

• 2B191E32-3748-4E43-9BBA-8638A1396883.jpeg
    2B191E32-3748-4E43-9BBA-8638A1396883.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 206
Got my 1979 Yamaha XS650SG chopper project up and running thanks to all the guys who helped on my thread for electrical! Finally see an end to this project and stoked to be able to ride it to BornFree 10 Show this year!
Started from scratch with a complete non touched xs650 (for the exception of the bored out to the 707cc kit).
- Hard tailed frame - inspired by the Fongbros on the frame so I could keep all the brake and possibly add a jockey shifter.
- HD Narrow Springer front end made to fit the xs650 style
- Handmade spacers on the springer thanks to the in-laws at Ragusa Pattern Shop
- Garage rattle can paint job... Seemed to look decent.
- last thing was electrical had it set up for kick only.. Just to go back to electric start due to it kick backed too many times.

Hadda share; pulled in to gas Madness, Guy in a pickup was leaving almost at exit, he pulls to one side gets out and heads over, rut roh... "WOW I just had to come take a closer look, cool bike, that a 78? "....
had a great chat with a nice guy :D :bike:.

Madness is pretty much a 10 maybe 15 footer this year, but that's OK. I even have some ugly saddlebags on it getting ready for the Ozarks trip o_O

Last edited:
Brief relapse; just a parts purchase
Haven't been looking at Kijiji lately, but I thought a peak wouldn't hurt - wrong! I see a complete points motor minus carbs for $200.00. I thought something that I did not have to put back together would be a great addition to my aggregation of bits. Plus the seller seemed reasonable and was hoping to get rid of a bunch of oher xs stuff left over from a bobber build or two. Trouble was he was over 4 hours away. At least where he lived there were lakes and rock cuts and roads with hills and curves, unlike the prairie's edge around here.
Here is the stuff I came back with: SAM_6972.JPG SAM_6968.JPG SAM_6971.JPG I have a bare 78 Special frame that this is made for - motor and frame are only 3000 or so units apart.

09348931-C5A8-4CFF-B058-B97046563C64.jpeg F429D023-8CEA-4307-A79F-EC03F2242313.jpeg BF6A3394-FA67-41B2-BFDF-4E686A824473.jpeg DC9B2C01-2928-4587-AE2B-5D8801D35BED.jpeg
The other day, I put my stock signals back on as my el cheepo after market lights kept blowing fuses. Stock lights look the best imo. But I didn’t know until I wasted a bunch of time on other lights. Lol

Now. I’m trying to find source of whining sound on right side and to synch the carbs. Right side is running hotter. I pulled carbs and found the right butterfly was a tad more open than the left. So I adjusted and closed it as best I could. Seems counter clockwise in the synch screw closes the right side. Put it all back together and fired it up. Right side ran terrible, sputter and very little pressure blowing out the pipe. so I adjusted butterfly back to where it was and it runs better. Still hotter than left though. Floats are the same height - 25 mm, maybe closer to 27 as I measured with bowl gasket still in place. Idle screws at 2.5 each. Also tried 3 turns - no diff imo. I’m going to try super high octane in the tank next and also upgrade plugs to iridium. I don’t think it’s detonation.... ?? have a listen to vid down below.

Also, my cover badges were ratty so I painted them silver to try and match the old style tank badges I bought.

And here’s a vid of my new commandos!!! I’m very happy with them. I used some pretty ugly clamps, but they work much better than the ones from the kit. Mount issues have been resolved so ignore me pointing to empty mount points. Lol.

Last edited:
So there I was taking my helmet off in the parking lot at Canadian Tire and this worn looking minivan slidles up beside me. Granpa looking driver, his Alsatian sleeping on the passenger seat greats me and says nice bike, I'm looking for a smaller adventure bike, what is that - FJ-09 I said, and its a great multi purpose ride. Chatted a bit more and I said, you know my real interest is in the old XS 650's, he says, oh yea, I used to ride one, it had a Champion frame and a 750 kit, just as matter of fact as if he had said looks like it might rain!
The discussion then went to how much money parts for old race bikes could command. He said he had refreshed a Triumph 500 but was not happy with the result and could understand why they went out of business and then just as quickly said see ya and left. I never even got a name or an email.
One never knows who is out there, eh?

SAM_6985.JPG

Same 1980 I wrote of the last time (12/79 3U6-0015xx for those keeping score) that I had started up using a set of '78 carbs. Still disorganized from last summer's move, I finally found a box of a few sets of the '80 and later carbs and cleaned up a pair to be more correct. Dug up a Special tank with one petcock that was whistle clean inside but sort of ugly on the outside and after I bolt on the linked Special exhaust I bought last week, I will see if it will fire up again. Putting it together with a bunch of parts that separately would not have much value, hopefully as a runner it will find a market.

adjusted the cam chain, what a difference. no more backfire. noticed the headlight dimming at slightly higher rpm, tested with a multimeter in the garage, and its dropping as I rev. Tried to remove the cover, and wouldnt you know, one of the hex heads is stripped.

Back