What ignition?

locolobo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while but have been looking, trying to learn about the XS. I think I have aswked this question before but do not remember getting an answer. I have a 79 Special and wondering about the ignition. There is nothing under the covers on either side (points, advance mechanism). Can anyone give me an idea how I can find out what I have. Thanks

Take off the alternator cover. If you have a oval shaped black thing with wires mounted about 1-2 o clock position, you have the '80 and later TCI. If you got nothing, you have no ignition system at all.

At work right now, will check when I get home. I was under the impression the 79's had points. Thanks for the info.

Yep!! Black oval looking plastic thing about 1 o'clock. And according to my Haynes manual the 79 has points. Did somebody convert or did they put CDI in SOME bikes?

My plans were to convert to Pamco but Would there be any benefit?

Last edited:
I think some of the 79 bikes got the TCI during the change over from 79 model year to the 80 model year.
If it does have the TCI then embrace it. It's a much better system than the points. It is 35 years old and it could be on it's last legs.
If it runs well with the TCI, I would run it until the TCI starts giving trouble, then change it.
Leo

Haven't posted in a while but have been looking, trying to learn about the XS. I think I have aswked this question before but do not remember getting an answer. I have a 79 Special and wondering about the ignition. There is nothing under the covers on either side (points, advance mechanism). Can anyone give me an idea how I can find out what I have. Thanks

You asked the question here but didn't get back to the guy that answered your question.

You need to identify your bike. Often owners state they have a 79 because the date on the bike ID is 79 but the bike is actually an 80. The production date cross's over from one year to another and it is the later year that the model is classed as. The 79 is a different bike to an 80 so some parts are not interchangeable.

Post your ID no or go to page 4 and 5 and look up the differences visually and internally

This link may help you

....and when the iggy gets a bit flaky search or ask about the diode replacement in the black box and or do the ohm check on the pickups . Generally speaking the only two things that "generally" kill the electronic ignition . One final note , before driving yourself crazy with carburettor and valve nonsense always check the pickups and look for intermittent spark before taking a hammer to the bike . So often the intermittent problems can be traced to gremlins in the electrical after hours , days , weeks , months of futzing around with the fuel system . Often as simple as the original fuse holder breaking down . ;-)

~kop

Back