Where to start!

1911master

1911master
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1979 XS650 today. Bring it home tomorrow. Please tell me what do I need to do first? I know the gas was drained, battery removed. This bike shows about 20,000, needs a paint job.

Change oil, install battery, fill with fuel, what else?

First thing to Welcome you to the XS650 community.
Next is to browse the XS650 tech section. Found near the top of page, Scroll down and you will find a Buyers Guide, Getting to know your bike. This leads you to plenty of good advice.
Read this while you shop around for a repair manual. biker.net has them as downloads.
Good reading and good luck.
What you list is a good start. Charge the battery with a motorcycle specific charger. A car charger will damage it.
Going through the electrical system cleaning and tightening all the electrical connections, a dab of dielectric grease will help them stay clean.
Leo

XSLeo, thanks for the welcome and advice. I have been looking for an XS650 for over a year now and it appears 3 blocks from my work place.

Update.
I cleaned the tank, repainted it and the side covers, replaced petcocks and fuel lines.
Replaced the battery and discovered a blown fuse, replacing the Buss fuses with the newer Blade type today.

You should really check the sump filter when you change the oil. They have a tendency to tear and don't do much good with a big hole in them. Many of us just patch the tear with JB Weld because new ones are getting expensive and they tear out just like the originals anyway.

5twins, thank you. It is now on my list. Begining to think it would be easier to strip the bike down to just frame and motor and start from scratch. LOL

ANLAF, I am guessing that it has been in storage about a year. I base this off of the former owners transfer date. He is 85 and didnt ride the bike.

Howdy, how's it way out west? Congrats on getting the XS. You've already dived in and begun work on it.
When I've gotten an unknown history bike I do the regular maintenance, changing oil, checking brake fluid, chain condition, lube and adjust. Check front & rear brakes for operation, lube speedo, tach and brake cables. Very close inspection of tires, wheels and spokes. Look for jetsam & floatsam in the gas. If it's all lookin' good fire it up and go for a slow putt checking for wobble and weird handling, if it starts and runs for a minute then dies you'll prolly find 'jellyfish' (water) in the carbs.
good luck and enjoy!

Back