Who makes headlight with integrated turn signals?

Also, most states have laws pertaining to how far apart your turn signals must be, and those certainly don't meet the criteria.

That's a Crystal headlight. I have one on my '81/H but for a different reason. I have my headlight wired to a relay that turns it off when in neutral, so to remain legal, I have both of the LED arrays wired on all the time to display a headlight.

Here it is with the headlight on and off at night:

crystalnight.jpg

crystalnight2.jpg

This would also serve to get you home if the headlight burned out. You can wire the left and right side of the Crystal headlight to act as turn signals, but I doubt the effectiveness or legality of doing so.

The bulb inside the headlight has a metal reflector / shield that broke loose from the vibration. I was able to remove the broken piece from the hole for the bulb. The missing reflector did not seem to affect the focus or effectiveness of the headlight, so I am not sure why it was there.

If you want to pay $50.00 for a headlight function only; the extra LEDs add some pizazz to the front lighting. As Pamcopete shows, they work fine as long as you also have separate turn signals.

It would be a very bad idea to try to use the integrated LEDs as turn signals. If its not illegal,where you live, it should be. In city traffic such as here in Calgary, that type of "turn signal" could get you killed real easy.

Its just another marketing fad. Shame on the retailers for even suggesting that they can be used for turn signals.

I thought that most states dont require turn signals at all on bikes. Correct me if Im wrong.

It does go state by state. WI requires them on anything after about 1971 (if they were original equipment) which the Feds started to require right about that time.
Seems like Florida doesn't care.
I might be tempted to go signalless on a "parade use" bike but not a chance on a daily driver.

"I may be paranoid.... that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

Here's the TS rules form the feds.

Front Turn Signal Lamps 2 Amber. None required on a motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less At or near the front, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between a turn signal lamp and headlamp is 4 inches Height above road Not less than 15 inches, nor more than 83 inches Flash when the turn signal flasher is actuated by the turn signal operating unit.

Rear 2 Amber or red. None required on a motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less At or near the rear, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches
Minimum edge to edge separation distance between the turn signal lamp and the taillamp or stop lamp is 4 inches, when a single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red

Which kinda means what ever you and the cop that stopped you can agree on. :shrug:

Fed rule found here http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.108

Here are the regs for all states:

motorcycleregs.jpg

You can zoom into the chart or go here for the original:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...012-9-27_On-Highway_Motorcycle_Laws.sflb.ashx

But, it doesn't matter what the regs are. If you alter any safety equipment on your bike and fail to tell your insurance company, they are still legally obliged to pay damages to a third party, but they will then come after your ass for insurance fraud and obtain a judgement for whatever they were obliged to pay, if you were at fault. It gets worse. In addition to the world of grief that the insurance company gives you, insurance fraud is a crime. If you were not at fault, then the other guys insurance company will use the same alteration to refuse your claim. Even if you do tell the insurance company that you altered a safety device on your bike, they will probably refuse coverage.

Just a long way to tell you to not screw with the safety equipment on your bike regardless of what the regs are for your state.

Last edited:
Just for argument's sake even though the charts say Wisconsin does require, if you read the statute it does NOT require signals on motorcycles. I found some reference to "on or before jan 1 1973" And I think that goes with what I have seen on 70-72 XS650s including brochures, that the signals were "installed on request"...
Seldom does law or insurance require you to retrofit equipment not required when the vehicle was new. I see old pick ups with one brake/tail light operated here.

WI stat. 347.15  Direction signal lamps or devices.
(1) No person may sell any new motor vehicle, other than a moped or Type 1 motorcycle, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with direction signal lamps meeting the requirements of this section. No person may operate on a highway any motor vehicle sold new after January 1, 1955, or any mobile home, or trailer or semitrailer sold new after January 1, 1968, other than a vehicle which is operated pursuant to s. 341.47 (1) (b) or a moped or Type 1 motorcycle, unless such vehicle is equipped with direction signal lamps meeting the requirements of this section.

xs6507.jpg

Changes and improvements from the XS1 were among others :
Some small changes on frame, new front forks ass'y without the rubberboots,
new tail lamp unit, rear fender stay, flasher lamps as standard equipment (only alternate parts on the XS1)
The Yamaha parts fiche confirms this.

fol1b_5n.jpg

I have done 10 of them and you have to have a 7" bucket for it to work. I am doing a Suzuki 1500 right now with front and rear internal signals.
You may have to check your state for color some states will not allow blue because the cops use it. One of the ones I did the owner got a ticket in FL last year at bike week for blue lights. He could have beat it but just paid the fine.
You also have to change blinker to LED blinker or they may run fast or burn out old blinker.
If you live in PA you just have to have them on the bike working to pass inspection. I use to inspect bikes in PA. Has nothing to do with
insurance in PA. Bikes that had turn signals from factory must have them working on bike for inspection doesn't matter how far they are apart or the location just left/right on front and same on back. If you want to see a video of one I did I think its still on YOUTUBE CAFE BIKE.
WOW I though NY PA were screwed up with weird laws NJ has NO MOTORCYCLE INSPECTION so you can ride what you want. There is also another bogas law out there about how high your bars are . Cops say can't go over shoulders or you get fined but there are legit laws in the books that are a measurement from the axle to top of bars. I beat that law twice in NY.
DUMB RULES!!!!

Attachments

• Slide3_zps2f98fa8b.jpg
    Slide3_zps2f98fa8b.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 110
Back