With PMA, Can I Remove OEM Regulator?

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'll be installing a replacement PMA and reg/rec from Hugh's today or tomorrow. My previous PMA, which was installed by the PO, is deceased. He never mounted the reg/rec. He simply had hung it over the swing arm with a single zip tie! He also left the OEM regulator in place. I think I'd like to mount the new reg/rec in that location. This is undoubtedly a stupid question, but can I simply unplug and pitch the OEM regulator, or does it need to remain plugged in to serve some other purpose? Please see the pics with the skillfully drawn red arrows. LOL. Pardon my ignorance of all things electrical, but if you've seen my related threads, you aren't surprised!!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• reg2-picsay.jpg
    reg2-picsay.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 107
  • reg1-picsay.jpg
    reg1-picsay.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 98
Ummm, that's not the original regulator, it's the original starter/headlight safety relay.

ok here is how it works the HHB PMA will replace all the oem charging system, the rotor the rec the reg and it's wiring, you will have to wire in your ignition system and and the rest of the elc on the bike will still run as it was if your keeping the battery and fuse box set up, ( My previous PMA, which was installed by the PO),looks to be the stock charging system not a pma a PMA = ( permanent magnet alternator ) the stock system is a field excited generator. hope this helps

Hah! Alrighty then!! Under the regulator page of the Clymers, there was a simple drawing and it looked a lot like that. As I said, my electrical knowledge is ( you can fill in the blank)! I'll leave it in place.
Thanks!

If you're dealing with your '76 here, the stock regulator would have been under the left side cover. It looks similar to that safety relay but has a green colored bar of epoxy covered wire windings running down one side. Pretty easy to recognize once you know what one actually looks like .....

Electrics-Left.jpg

Thanks for the explanation and pic, guys. The OEM regulator is definitely gone. I've removed the bad PMA and associated parts, the reg/rec (which may or may not have still been good... thought I'd best play it safe and install the whole kit), and cleaned things up. I've also marked TDC . With Hugh's clear instructions, I believe I'm ready for the new installation.

Thanks again, guys!

Back