XS Southeast -Sept

Just heard about this an hour ago. I would like to try to meet you guys head on on Saturday. What route r u taking from robbinsville to tellica plains?

And if I miss you then, what route will u take on the way back on Sunday?

Thanks, I'm okay now.

Saturday is basically Moonshiner 28 from the Iron Horse to 107. Lunch is at the Carolina Smokehouse in Cashiers, NC at 1300. Then 215 to BRP and back to the lodge.

Sunday is Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains with a stop at Bald River Falls. Lunch is at the Tellicafe at 1300. We'll return to the lodge via 129.

WOW! :bike:

What a WONDERFUL weekend. Many thanks to Marty and the crew for putting it on. :thumbsup:

I took a LOT of photos, some video and I'll do a write up in a day or so.

This was my longest trip so far on my 650B (it looks like a turd, but ran like a top) It did everything I asked it to do and if I had the time off from work....I'd turn right around and do it again.

A 600 mile, trouble free round trip......ya gota love it. :bike:

AAR later......I got some unpacking to do.

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B

Last edited:
Well, I'm still the "new" guy so if this isn't the place to post something like this, if somebody will just let me know I'll remove it.

Gordon's XS Southeast AAR

Because of work (doncha just hate it when life gets in the way of fun/your hobby?) I have missed out on anything motorcycle related this year so when I saw a chance to join in on the XS Southeast rally.....I went for it.

I had been packed for two weeks:laugh:

XS%20Southeast%202015%20070.jpg

and would wake up Friday morning to head off to this place

XS%20Southeast%202015%20024.jpg

It rained a little on the ride over so I had to hang stuff out to dry once I got set up. Yea.....a man can't hide the fact he's a redneck. I've been camping like this for decades.....that poor tent I use is almost as old as the XS.

XS%20Southeast%202015%20001.jpg

WATERPROOF???? :laugh: okay how many of you have spent the money on waterproof gear only to find out.......it really isn't :laugh: Oh well, if you have something against riding in the rain.....you might be in the wrong hobby.

This trip would cover a little under 600 miles in three days and I think I might have had a little over 100 of them without rain. :)

I'm still a bit puzzled why there weren't more XS650s at the rally. It was put on by the XS11 guys and gals but they went out of their way to make me feel welcome. IMO....a rally like this is a little about the bikes....a little less about the ride and a LOT about the people. :thumbsup:

There were only two XS650s at the rally.....both 650Bs and they were the oldest bikes in the campground for the weekend (you gota love that)

Not sure who this fellow was/is. I was introducted to him early on but our paths didn't cross again for the rest of the weekend.

XS%20Southeast%202015%20017.jpg

His 650B was a stunning example.

XS%20Southeast%202015%20027.jpg

to be continued.............

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B

That's John Chaves, president of the XS650 Society and a very good guy!

For a couple of reasons I didn't make the SE rally , maybe next year. I'm headed down tomorrow AM to end up at Barber but I'm taking the BMW road barge.
That's quite the set up you have there! How does the 75 handle that load? Even the Beemer pig gets a bit, well you know, with a full load.

Gary, I've had that set up for 6 years on three different bikes. I've had time to "tune" it and the load weights a little over 50lbs. I rode close to the tank just to keep the extra weight centered but to tell the truth I couldn't tell it was loaded once it was rolling. BUT....I tried a couple of times ot get it up on the centerstand loaded like that and it was not to be done.....at least by me.

Marlin......you have my bike confussed with John's :laugh: His is stunning.....mine on the other hand is more of a turd. It does run well and for now that's all that matters. My poor bike was left in a shed where some painting was done and it was COMPLETELY covered with grey primer when I got it. I tried my best to get it off.....but gave up after a while and just resigned myself to live with it.

I'm in the market for a "nice" standard that I can purchase for myself this xmas. I want one that's already finished. I have just to many other projects to take on another. I will keep up grading this one as time goes by.......right now I'm working on a nice set of respoked wheels (saved off my parts bike) and new tires. Somebody at the rally described the tires I have on my bike now as "hard as a whore's heart" ...:yikes:.....and that comes with a story too that I'll save for another campfire.:bike:

I'm also in the market for another Velorex 562 I can mount on this 650B so it won't have to suffer the embarrasment of those cooler bags again. Another PERFECT camping combo IMO.

Work is calling....gota go..damnit.:(

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B

Last edited:
There were several reasons I didn't ride with the group Saturday. Instead I took a shortcut to the lunch stop.

Here are the riders ready to leave Saturday morning. The weather looks a little dreary but it really wasn't bad at all....and just right for air cooled engines.:thumbsup:

XS%20Southeast%202015%20031.jpg

Here's a low quality video of the first three groups leaving the campground Saturday morning.

The lunch stop was held at the Smokehouse in beautiful downtown Cashiers, NC and it's one of my favorite places to eat ribs.....:thumbsup:. I've lived/worked in this area and know it pretty well, which comes in handy sometimes.

The Smokehouse had enough room for us all to sit together. Since there were several groups and they were coming in at different times.....it worked out perfectly!!!!!!

XS%20Southeast%202015%20060.jpg

Here's one of our fearless leaders.....Marty (wearing the black jacket)

XS%20Southeast%202015%20041.jpg

I'll tell ya, I met a bunch of REALLY nice folks and had a blast.

to be continued.........................

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B

Yep. We had a great time. We had several from the Yamaha 650 Society join us, but John Chaves was the only one who brought an XS650. The others were mostly riding more modern machines.

From the XS11 forum:
We had 54 people sign in with 22 XS1100's. We also had two XS650B's, a KZ1000, a GS850, a GL1100, an XJ750, two XJ650's, an XS750F, and a Godzilla. That's pretty good for what was predicted to be a rainy weekend!

There is so much to see around that part of the country.......this is Dry Falls just outside of Highlands, NC along Hwy 64

IM003147.jpg

The lake along Hwy 281

Hwy281011.jpg

It seems like there's something to see around every corner........and there's plenty of those

Hwy281015.jpg

Those photos weren't taken this past weekend......there are plenty of those on the XS Southeast thread on the XS11.com site.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42989&page=25

I have riding buddies that worry so much about how fast they can ride they almost NEVER get to see anything except asphalt.....it's a shame, but to each their own. Wonder how many riders this weekend saw this....and I know most of them rode right by her.

Hwy281038.jpg

Okay, enough of that. :)

I got up Sunday and had breakfast with the group......said my goodbyes and packed up for the ride home since I had to be at work Monday.

You can tell the ground was dry and the sun was out. :bike:

XS%20Southeast%202015%20064.jpg

The group ride was headed West out of the campground and I "think" they stayed in this kind of weather all day.....I was headed East and decided since it was so pretty I would take the Blue Ridge Parkway back since I only live 15 mins from it in Wilkes County, NC....I made it all the way past the Hwy 23/74 connector before I ran into the rain....I had to get off the Parkway because you couldn't see your hand in front of your face in places and the rain followed me all the way home.

I had a blast and I thank those who go to the trouble to put this on. I've hosted a ride this size (for the past 15 years) so I know what it takes to pull it off and the stress you go through until everybody is home safe and sound.....Hats off to the guys and gals who put this one on......a job VERY well done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B
On the hunt for another XS650

DuPont Park in Brevard,NC has three beautiful water falls.

Yes......http://www.dupontforest.com/ click on the Galleries for waterfall photos. :thumbsup:

DuPont State Recreational Forest.....nicknamed "land of the waterfalls"

This is one of my favorites.....this photo was taken (by me) sitting on the motorcycle... down stream from Dry Falls on Hwy 64.

Sylva005.jpg

Now moving away from the beautiful water features the area has to offer and droping down a state......wanta good lunch? (or try the breakfast)

DillardLunch021.jpg

Yep.....the Dillard House in Dillard, Ga.......just off Hwy441. It's a bit pricy but IMO well worth it.

http://www.dillardhouse.com/

Okay.....I'll stop. :) before I get run off.

I can't say enough about the area...the views, the roads, and the places to eat. The rally was top notch and the people attending were warm and welcoming. When and if there's another one....you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Take care......Gordon in NC :bike:

1975 XS650B
Looking to add another XS650 to the herd

Back