XS1( Green Grandpa 1970 )basket case is now running

Cpkid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I got this XS1 in pieces about 2 years ago . I had it partially restored , and since I have enough bikes to wrench on I let this go . I thought the engine was good . Although it had a rough start . I just had to know if it would run . My gut told me it was a good runner .
I'm currently restoring an XS1B but I just had the urge to get this one going . I spent some time on it and today it came back to life . I had one coil wire wrong and once corrected it smoked a little but eventually ran great . I adjusted the valves and put new plugs , points and condenser in as well . It's not as pretty as my other one , but it runs great . One carb leaked a little gas . Probably the float was sticking . I rebuilt the carb long ago , but I can fix that .
Overall I'm quite pleased . It's not really that road worthy because the tires are probably 20 years old . It's gone up in value I'll bet . I'll post some before and after .
I should have done a video for YouTube of the startup but I didn't ..... My bad .
My motto is...... with enough parts and time I can fix anything . It was worth it ..
Regards,
CPKID
0cd046a2.jpg

601b9c07d8198a14a457ef40f3976815.jpg

ab8a4a55f91d461946b161956d37d821.jpg

2b010c5986ca1e02afbca5520f8b99f8.jpg

6c9440a22a47273e662f33363035c27b.jpg

I had to piece this one together . The tank and side covers came off my other XS1 . I didn't want to get these repainted because there pretty good . The shocks are off a 72. It's not completely stock like my other one , but now that I know it runs Great I can certainly pay more attention to it . Also some 71, 72 and 73 parts on it as well
The title is another issue . It's a number match with frame and engine . I have a 43 year old title and the original owners dead . I tried writing his family to get it signed over and got no response . The disassembled bike was sitting in someone's damp basement . I bought a part from her and noticed the pieces above in a picture . I then bought all the pieces . Getting parts on the forum , swaps, Craigs list and eBay took some time as well.
I'll keep working on the XS1B , but in time might ride this one around being functionally perfect , but with a rat type of unfinished look .
PROOF POSITIVE THESE BIKES ARE BULLET PROOF !
Regards,
CPKID

Back