xs650 build off 2014!!

I got some bars from him for a kz440 lanesplitter I'm do'n.i dont remember what he calls them but I realy like them

photo_zpscd809812.jpg

Heres my first photo for the contest. Hope to have a great time! Coming all the way from North Dakota.

Hope to get some pics up tomorrow from the laptop... adjusting to a very small home work space... just built a workbench yesterday to have a place to rebuild the motor on the 81....

View attachment 37213

Here is my start. I've been working on this girder set-up for a while now, 6061 T6 aluminum with roller bearing radius rods and a soon to be works performance single shock, and I think I can make it work with this bike. ...

Nice girder! Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the bike!

engine_zps7b9fbd5d.jpg

originalframe_zps5229c19e.jpg

My start so far. I'm right at $0 for this so far. This doesnt start till the Triumph is running though. So some of my updates maybe "searching for parts"

Nice girder! Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the bike!

Thanks man! I built my first 650 as a hardtail a few years back and after fifteen thousand miles or so of riding on a palm sander I wanted to reduce vibration on this build so I machined these sleeves to accept shaker bushings as engine mounts. Should make a big difference. :bike:

Attachments

• IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 133
Thanks man! I built my first 650 as a hardtail a few years back and after fifteen thousand miles or so of riding on a palm sander I wanted to reduce vibration on this build so I machined these sleeves to accept shaker bushings as engine mounts. Should make a big difference. :bike:

Interesting. Are you going to rubber mount the lower engine mount as well?

Because I can't go with an all black bike.......

Hey Reelop19 the wheels look great, i really like that particular blue! Is that powdercoat? i have some of the same fatboy rims i got for $300 off my normal price on a wedding i did this summer, they're new with new tires (basically new, no miles on them, off a show bike that's been stored for a few years) and they are plain aluminum and i may consider a color too.

It's time for me to get something posted here for my Build Off Bike.

I'm starting with a 77 that's already had the Hardtail Welded on, I believe it may be a TC Bros Hardtail. I picked this bike up off of Ebay for a good price. The only unfortunate thing is a shelving unit with an Anvil on it fell over and the Anvil hit the Engine so i'm not sure what kind of mess i'll be dealing with til i tear it down, i know i need a new left side rotor stator cover and a new head as some fins got busted. My plan is for a 30's sorta look with 36 ford tire ring fenders front and rear, a cole foster tank to tie in the ribbed look, some kidney shaped toolboxes on the upper hardtail frame tubes, fork covers for that vintage look and a tractor sorta solo seat with coil springs, and I may make a large form fitting (frame) oil tank for the electronics, I will be using some Norman Hyde M style bars and I really like the Rocket Headlight look but didn't wanna pay the $500 to $600 they want for one :eek: so i made my own today, check the pic's below of my starting point and some of the parts i have bought in the last few weeks, I also want to Paint, Powder coat & do the leather work all myself if possible on this build, but we'll see how that goes. Oh yeah being up north in the cold winters i just moved into a new place which has a nice newer 22'x26' garage and I decided to build an insulated room that's 8'x18' inside of it so i won't freeze this winter and actually get some work done. :thumbsup:
I'll be doing a more detailed Build Thread and I think I'll give it a code name "Retro Rocket"

100_0622.jpg
100_0623.jpg
100_0607.jpg
100_0613.jpg

some of my progress...not much. Still no title,thats a whole other story. Got the motor out, and starting to tear that down to replace all the gaskets. Hughes Hand built pma on its way, hard tail ordered...have to figure out how to get these carbs back together...fffffff me! never let a buddy help and not watch! I don't know where to start...irate to say the least:(

Attachments

• carb.JPG
    carb.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 146
  • knocked over.JPG
    knocked over.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 157
  • motor work.JPG
    motor work.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 149
  • cover.JPG
    cover.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 144
some of my progress...not much. Still no title,thats a whole other story. Got the motor out, and starting to tear that down to replace all the gaskets. Hughes Hand built pma on its way, hard tail ordered...have to figure out how to get these carbs back together...fffffff me! never let a buddy help and not watch! I don't know where to start...irate to say the least:(

Good thing there is a ton of info on here about carbs right!

Hey guys... Is it too late to get in on this? I think I posted in here before or maybe another thread... I would be down to build and ride out to Ohio from Providence Ri... Let me know if i missed the boat.

My company Counter Balance Cycles would be down to sponsor too if its not too late...

If its cool ill start a build thread!

Cheers

We're take'n entrys the whole time ths year. If u can do it in less time cool. Send me a p.m. so I have u on the list and I'll send u the info.

Hell... I'm in... Defiance is 5hrs away.... I picked up an '83 in parts back in the spring, it's sitting in the garage.... I have picked up a TC Bros Hard tail and a Ribbed tank for it. I'm going to tear into it and try to get the frame done over the next few weeks so that I can get it out for powder. My Garage isn't heated so Dec, Jan, Feb prob March will be unproductive aside from some grinding and polishing that I can do in the basement shop...

null_zps1c53a779.jpg

null_zps0706aac8.jpg

null_zpse7e2cfb3.jpg

Last edited:
Back