XS650 Chopper project

sly22guy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Ok new site. anyhow. Im in the process of gathering the final parts to start my chopper project and need some suggestions. Im going to be putting a 02 deuce swingarm on the back of my 81 xs650 with a 180-200 tire 16" rim. tryin to decide how many teeth i want on the new sprocket before i order it. also how many for the front. just wana see what the guys with the wide tires are running.

Project overview: 1981 XS650 Wide Glide frontend with 5 degree raked triple trees. 02 Deuce Swingarm with custom soft tail suspension. 16x5.5 rim low and long is the plan.

Are you using an offset front sprocket or jack-shaft type thing? I think wide tire guys are running in the same range as what everyone else runs 17-18 in front 32-34 in back.. (I think)

What's the height of the rear tire at the center of the tire (diameter)? If it's close to 25" you're in the ballpark of a stock rear wheel on a Special.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the site!

Sounds like an interesting set up Sly. Looking forward to seeing it develop. You should post up some pics whenever you get a chance. What year was your XS?

it is a 1981 xs650 special. I will snap some photos once i get started on the fab work. right now its just a pile of parts. Guess i could snap some photos for before and after too. need to clear out my shop area. right now its got 3 4 wheelers a tractor and a dirtbike. not much room to work! let alone walk! Hopefully in the next week or so ill be clearing some space to get started ill snap some pics then.

Yep I agree go with Gary's set up he's got some pics of bikes with his set up, they look well balanced no offset tail sections or offset motors, I got some pics of his stuff on my site too.

Back