XS650 Flattrack build.

Anders JB

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Just wanted to show my my latest build that is on the way to be finished.
533 motor,JE 700cc,Shell #1,ported,9 disc pull-clutch,XS750 third gear,rotor ignition.
Carbs will be VM34.
Have never ever ride on a oval track,have only raced in Roadracing and Motocross,but looks fun to slide with this old bikes!
More photos to come later when it progress.
Anders from Sweden.
20190330_124120.jpg
1553948461854983339001969643602.jpg

Looks great so far Anders!

Sounds like a really strong engine, any idea what the power output should be?

Really like the flat track look, can't wait to see the rest of the build.

Thanks!
Have no idea about the output,but hope for a engine with decent bottom and strong midrange with some power up the revs..
Here in Sweden the Flattrack series are on "Short Tracks",about 4-500 meters long,so no need for maximum "Top-end power".

Anders.

Thank's everyone for the kind words!
And really enjoy this build,have a XS650 "Street Tracker",and wanted to build a more "race" XS.
And Mr Gary Hoos gave me suggestion how to setup the bike,and gave me recomendation about what to use in the engine.
And he have tons of experience as I understand,so I think this bike will be a really good bike for my attempt to slide a bit with this bike.
Thank's again!!
Anders.

What trees did you use and did you change the rake-shorten the trail?

What trees did you use and did you change the rake-shorten the trail?

Made my own trees with 65mm offset in my old,manual mill...a lot of rigging,but pleased with the result.
Could maybe bought custommade from USA,but find pleasure in building Everything myself...try to build all the "specialparts" myself.

And the rake are not altered,by modifying the frame,the rules say that the main frame must be standard in the class this bike should run.
But have 3,5" trail and 25 degrees fork angle,and made a new "Square box" swingarm to fit the rear 140 tire,and get "correct" wheelbase,and lifted the rear to get correct fork angle.
Anders.

20180922_105238.jpg

Those triple trees look fantastic! Very impressive making them on a manual milling machine.
I am making some alloy bits and pieces for my street XS, but that is just using a drill press, hacksaw, hand files, belt sander and lathe. Just small items like exhaust flanges, rearset plates, muffler hangers and a caliper adapter. Mostly made from 10 and 12 mm flat stock 6082.

...find pleasure in building Everything myself...try to build all the "specialparts" myself...

Yes, there's a few "unique" items on your build.
- Outrigger bearing for the shiftshaft.
- Modified left side cover.
- As you mentioned, right side pull clutch.
- Cam end bearing block-offs.
- Unique oil fill plug.
- Interesting swingarm pivot.
- Tiny ignition coil.
- Modified gusseted seat/shock frame area.
- Highlighted starter cover

More?

Yes, there's a few "unique" items on your build.
- Outrigger bearing for the shiftshaft.
- Modified left side cover.
- As you mentioned, right side pull clutch.
- Cam end bearing block-offs.
- Unique oil fill plug.
- Interesting swingarm pivot.
- Tiny ignition coil.
- Modified gusseted seat/shock frame area.
- Highlighted starter cover

More?

Haha,You nailed them!!
Well,some mods are maybe not necessary,but that is the beauty of modifying bikes...go your own way and test things that You belive in.

The whole subframe are new built,the frame was "modifyed" by PO in a terrible way,they had cut the subframe of,and welded some awful "chopper-wannabe" subframe on it.

Otherwise not so much,homemade swingarm,rear disc conversion,fueltank from a Yamaha 125cc -72,homemade exhaust,modified footpeg brackets,homemade carbonfiber seat and the above mentioned things. I think the build is the "goal" for me....just love to be in my small garage,thinking,measuring,work at the the machines to produce some part....for me is this the best theraphy in the world...makes me peaceful in my mind!
Anders.
20190331_094100.jpg 20190331_093808.jpg 20190331_093821.jpg 20190331_093910.jpg
15540222835934213810357298290123.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely work and great looking workshop.
Do you have any photos of the pull clutch?

Thank's!
Yes...it's my "mancave",small but try to use every Square meter as good as I can. :)

Have a few photos,I will try to explain how I did it.

Made a big hole centered exactly on the gearbox axle. (put the cases on the mill,bolted it to the table,centered the mill on the bearing hole,and bolted the cover on the cases...then made the hole.)
Made a new "plate" in the lathe,with hole for pull-shaft and a seal.(made a small "edge" on the plate,so it lay flat on the cover that also have a flat Surface milled on the outside,also a couple of millimeters more room for the extra clutchplates)
Welded it together.
Modifyed a mechanism from a Suzuki GT750 3-cyl twostroke.(have a couple of such engines laying,that's why I used just that one)
Made a pull-rod in the lathe with a axial needle bearing.

Also did I plug the hole in the gearbox shaft ,the oil pumps from the other side,and without a plug I suspect the massive oilflow will "overflow" the inside of the clutch,and also loose pressure to other parts of the Engine.
Made a small bleedhole in both ends,some small amount of oilpressure is needed to lubricate the gears on the shaft,and also a small amount of oil are needed to lubricate the new needle bearing and cool the clutchplates….but that is only my belive,no "science" behind that,only my thoughts….

That's basically how I did it,lots and lots of measuring,but feels ok and Think it will work nice,but time will tell if it does….have to try to find out.
Anders

20190216_164615.jpg 20190216_164627.jpg 20190216_164520.jpg 20190216_164545.jpg 20190216_164648.jpg 20190216_164708.jpg 20190216_164530.jpg

Did you do the head porting yourself? I am interested in having a spare head ported......

Yes,I did all work myself.
But not so much "hogging out",just Clean up the castings,and concentrated on the exhaust,specially the transit from the exhaust "bowl to the roof.
And also direcltly before/after the seats.
Also cut the seat with 3 angles.

But I don't do heads for other people,had a flowbench a couple of yers ago,and ported a lot of MX heads,but now I just work on my own bikes for the fun of it. :)
Anders.

Back