‘78 XS650E total rebuild

There's a bushing behind the seal that the pushrod runs in. If it's worn, the rod can wobble around too much and even a new seal won't work. Yes, the long, one piece pushrod is less prone to wobbling, even with a worn bushing. Best chance for sealing this area is a new seal, new bushing, and changing to the long one piece pushrod.

For the long pushrod, I recommend searching eBay for an original. Some of the aftermarket ones aren't hardened properly on the ends. This makes them wear quickly. Basically, they're junk, lol .....

Pushrods2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. For the record the engine has been totally taken apart and all bushings and seal was replaced when I put it back together. Found an error though when taking the rod out the ball at the end was missing ( must have dropped when I put it together without me noticing). The short rod is a little uneven now - this also explain why the adjustment seemed odd. Lessons learned - anyway think I’ll look for a long rod and a new seal and give it another shot !

So, you're saying you did replace this bushing? .....

12mmBushing2.jpg

PushrodBushings.jpg

PushrodBushings2.jpg

I now use a 12mm long bushing sourced from McMaster-Carr.

Yes but I used this one from mikes XS

Color/Finish: Raw
Material: Steel
Fits: Yamaha XS650/TX650 1970-1984
$7.00
IN STOCK
Part 01-2020

Bike look real good. Love the green.

Still using the 74/75 carbs ? how did you et up the throttle? I see your using a single throttle cable at the handlebars

No I got the real combination carb, now with the single cable pulling both carbs. The once on the pictures have been set aside for either my next 75 or the 78 I’m about to start

OK, the MikesXs bushing is fine, it's just that you can get the same one for a fraction of the cost from McMaster-Carr, lol.

PushrodBushings3.jpg

Didn’t know about McMaster-Carr option - now I got another vendor on my list for the next engine. Thanks!

Do you buy other bushings from McMaster-Carr as well for the XS’s ?
I can’t recall bushings, but I have a lot of bags of McMaster-Carr hardware in my XS650 stash, including, but not limited to stainless and copper. They are especially good when I’m in a hurry. They deliver in a day or two.

I have purchased rubber grommets from McMaster-Carr as well.

Last edited:
Back