1974 XS650 - First Post and Seeking Mechanical Help!

julienm94

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just snagged this 74 and it runs, but definitely needs some tinkering. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with stalling out when slowly releasing the clutch no throttle? Also with the choke lever down, is that engaging it? When I flip it up, the bike dies. Any info helps! Thank you.
20220603_162510.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with stalling out when slowly releasing the clutch no throttle?
Yeah, give it some throttle. it's a 360° twin designed back in the sixties. Wasn't ever meant to have torque at idle.
Down on the lever is choke, up is off.

Shame you have no tach.....idle should be set @1200 rpm.
Welcome aboard!
I'll add that on a cold start I come off the choke immediately and then have to feather the throttle a wee bit until she warms.....less than a minute of that. Others may vary.......

Sounds like your pilot/idle jets need to be cleaned. Make sure the timing is set correctly. Open pipes hurt off idle performance as well. (ask me how i know..lol.)
AND welcome!

Yeah, give it some throttle. it's a 360° twin designed back in the sixties. Wasn't ever meant to have torque at idle.
Down on the lever is choke, up is off.
I was shocked to let off the throttle and coast in 1st gear, playing with the clutch, then the whole bike just died when I let the clutch out fully. Do you just have to continue maintaining throttle? Thank you for the response!

Shame you have no tach.....idle should be set @1200 rpm.
Welcome aboard!
I'll add that on a cold start I come off the choke immediately and then have to feather the throttle a wee bit until she warms.....less than a minute of that. Others may vary.......
So if correct, I push the choke lever down, kickstart with a bit of throttle, pull choke lever up, then just work the throttle until warm? Thanks!

After the idle problem is solved, (Note airpods are very dirty) how about someone letting me know what those rear shocks are. I really like them and haven't seen that design on early models before. (Thanks).
'TT'

So if correct, I push the choke lever down, kickstart with a bit of throttle, pull choke lever up, then just work the throttle until warm? Thanks!
My procedure is
Petcocks on
Choke on
Cycle the kickstart one time
Key on
Kick
If she fires I'll shut the choke off and feather the throttle. Once she warms she's good like normal....lol
Note- throttle use is after she fires.
On a warm restart I kick with a bit of throttle. I do have E start but I like to kick.......she'll fire with about a third of the kickstarters travel.

I was shocked to let off the throttle and coast in 1st gear, playing with the clutch, then the whole bike just died when I let the clutch out fully. Do you just have to continue maintaining throttle? Thank you for the response!
Guess it depends on how tall the gearing is. My current XS is geared pretty tall. It wants throttle until the clutch is fully engaged or it'll stall. Any idea how many teeth are on the rear sprocket?

Julie - best of luck on your new adventure!

TT - those shocks appear to be early 80's Honda, maybe CB750F - CB900F

Just snagged this 74 and it runs, but definitely needs some tinkering. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with stalling out when slowly releasing the clutch no throttle? Also with the choke lever down, is that engaging it? When I flip it up, the bike dies. Any info helps! Thank you.
View attachment 215683
As Jim said you'll need to add throttle as you let the clutch out. And a sure thing that your pilot/ idle circuit is dirty as gonzo said. Bike sat for a while ? Ethanol in the fuel. Bike dying without choke is a dead giveaway. Not sure about your mechanical abilities but a good service manual is your friend and there are lots of good video tutorials out there. You don't need rebuild kits to "rebuild" carburetors. Just be gentle with gaskets and other parts and thoroughly clean all the small passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. Best of luck. And get some fenders if you want to ride in the rain .
View attachment 215683

As Jim said you'll need to add throttle as you let the clutch out. And a sure thing that your pilot/ idle circuit is dirty as gonzo said. Bike sat for a while ? Ethanol in the fuel. Bike dying without choke is a dead giveaway. Not sure about your mechanical abilities but a good service manual is your friend and there are lots of good video tutorials out there. You don't need rebuild kits to "rebuild" carburetors. Just be gentle with gaskets and other parts and thoroughly clean all the small passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. Best of luck. And get some fenders if you want to ride in the rain .
The previous owner took it on multiple rides over the week before delivering to me and I gave it a test run before settling the cash. I let the bike sit for a bit, came back out a few hours later, and there was almost no way of keeping her running without feathering the clutch/adding throttle in first. It wouldn't stay alive rolling in first gear! On my previous '85 Honda, I could easily start moving without any throttle. Maybe this is a newbie, I don't know 650s, but I think I should be able to roll into first without much or any throttle. I definitely will be cleaning this bike up and replacing almost everything as it seems it needs some love.

Thank you for your response! Also, appreciate the tips.

My procedure is
Petcocks on
Choke on
Cycle the kickstart one time
Key on
Kick
If she fires I'll shut the choke off and feather the throttle. Once she warms she's good like normal....lol
Note- throttle use is after she fires.
On a warm restart I kick with a bit of throttle. I do have E start but I like to kick.......she'll fire with about a third of the kickstarters travel.
Solid. I'm going to have to get used to this old '70s tech! Exiting but going to take some practice. Thank you for the help.

After the idle problem is solved, (Note airpods are very dirty) how about someone letting me know what those rear shocks are. I really like them and haven't seen that design on early models before. (Thanks).
'TT'
That was clear from the beginning! So much to replace/clean/lubricate/adjust... I guess I got a project...

Every bike (and car) I've ever owned required feeding some throttle into it as you let the clutch out in first. That's just S.O.P. for a clutch equipped machine. Don't know what was up with your Honda, it should have been the same, idle set real high maybe?

Hi
If it was running OK but suddenly it isn't then it could be crud in the fuel tank.
After cleaning the carbs fit a fuel filter if one isn't already fitted, if there is one check it, if it's old and gunky replace it. :thumbsup:
Good luck

Back