1976 xs650

LelandMaggs

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 1976 xs650 off a friends. The bike is in good condition. All original including the paint. Any thought on that particular year?

I'm considering buying a 1976 xs650 off a friends. The bike is in good condition. All original including the paint. Any thought on that particular year?

Hi Leland and welcome,
WTF? Go for it! Usual caveats before laying out your cash:-
Price? Not sure about that in Alliance Oh but in Saskatoon SK I'd expect Cdn$1,000 +/- $300 or so.
Be sure the friend has title and the bike is lien-free.
&FWIW, from '74 & newer, XS650 parts swap from year to year like LEGO so you are not stuck (for instance) with the '76
34mm diameter front fork tubes.

Post a couple of pics if you can......and vin no.....Its the only way we can tell or help you with its originality and if there are some parts swapped and to be able to give a round about figure of its value..........french Blue was the most common colour in the States although there were some brilliant red ones............last of the 34mm forks and this model had a couple of one off's like the front brake calipers mounted o the rear of the front forks and the Gauges are a one off set, although gauges and cups swap from 76-83.

Different models from 70-82 in this link.....
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

The bike is in great condition. It was his fathers, and that guy documented every little detail. I do like to wrench, but I'm really not expecting to have to do a lot of work on this one.

The amount of work needed may depend on how long it's been sitting. These all need a little something done to them, lol, even the ones that look good to begin with. The front brake system may need a disassembly and thorough cleaning, carbs may need a cleaning as well. There are many little "fixes", upgrades, and improvements that have been developed for these. Most are well documented here on the forum. Even a long time owner probably wouldn't be aware of some of them if he wasn't active on forums like this.

I would be quite happy with a nice condition '76 model. The 34mm forks are probably just fine for normal riding around. The early type front brake caliper is actually supposed to work very well because it has 2 moving pistons. The later version only moved one piston and worked fine, so an early 2 piston unit could work even better. '76 was also the 1st year for a linked carb set-up or carb "bank". These are much easier to sync, and stay that way longer, than the earlier separate carbs.

Do it!! They are fun as hell to work on and ride. I purchased another one back in January since I sold my first one back 7 or 8 years ago and have missed it since. Good luck and post pics...we would love to take a peek lol

Back