1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mufflers, put some mufflers on it. Seriously if it's jetted stock it will like some exhaust. Motor sounds good seems like both cylinders are in there on the idle. Bit of smoke probably going to need valve seals at some point but put a 100 or 2 on it see how much oil it's using then decide. Good on you! Is this the bike you rescued from a relative out east?

Yeah, I agree with gggGary, you'll have a better time adjusting everything with exhaust. Sounds great, betcha your relieved.

Great Job Man! As the others have said, put on some exhaust and then do the tuning, it will save you a lot of time and frustration!

Hey all, Sorry its been crazy at work before the holidays.
So, I have the carbies back together and on, and am working on a carb pic tutorial for the less than mechanically inclined and visual learners out there ( like me ) ...
So after I called SSERES for help and then realized it wasnt gonna happen I walked away from getting the RHC on two days ago... Then after trying about 30 times and almost hitting it with a mallet ( which thank god a cool head prevailed on ) I got it to fit. The spring for the kick starter had slipped and was out about a quarter inch holding the cover off the engine. thank god I didnt try to just crank her down to get it on!
IMG_0616.jpg

Getting the carbs on was a bear as you all know. it was tough even after I realized I was trying to put them on BACKWARDS!?!... and difficult even after I realized the top plate was BACKWARD!?! but in the end after walking away 3 times they went on...
IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

What goes in tht hole on the right side cover??

That bolt is the oil filter retainer, if it just looks like a bolt you are missing the filter element if it has a moon shaped plate right behind the bolt, use a socket to remove the nut and the. You can access the filter

Hey lawrgj...almost there! Still have a couple of wires to figure out, a battery to buy and in a couple of weeks I'll fire her up. Just a few weeks behind you![/IMG][/IMG]

Attachments

• DSC_0011_1410_zps402df941.jpg
    DSC_0011_1410_zps402df941.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0009_1408_zps5a6f1ea1.jpg
    DSC_0009_1408_zps5a6f1ea1.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 3
Alright guys!
I finally got her out today for a maiden voyage, I am planning to use the remaining winter months to button up everything and get her tuned well.

issues as of now.
a. font brake grinding a bit.
b. rear brake tension off,
c. need fuel filters
d. headlight adjustment.
e. small leak coming from rhc oil cover.
f. make stops for the center and kick stands.

so far i am pretty happy she fires up in 30 degree cold after not running in a week without choke!

Lawrgj, How'd you deal with the clutch not disengaging?

Cant seem to get the front MC working. Brand new cylinder and lines, the brake is rebuilt and clean...just no fluid bleeding out. The fluid in the reservoir is not going down so It's not getting into the lines.

Put a line on the bleeder stick it in a jar, open the bleeder and the MC cap, walk away, has the fluid run through when you come back? Where did you buy the master cylinder? It is not unusual for ch(in)eesy mc's to have one of the ports not drilled deep enough.

ron,
a- I got on the forum and read what to do, which is waht I should have done from the start, I had the worm gear adjuster so far in it was just stuck in nuetral, so I tensioned it backed it out an eighth and she is great.
b- the brakes take forever to bleed when new, I read somewhere on here of somebody priming everything first i.e. they injected fluid into the lines, caliper and mc, then assembled. then it bled fast.
I see you still have the junction on the lower tree. I suggest you remove that monkey business and get a one piece line, however, you most likely spent a bunch already on that setup and it is not 100% necessary.

So.... in dealing with my only oil leak, on my oil filter cover, I took off the cover and after sseres was telling me about a warped rhc, tested to see if it was flat... NOPE.
I remembered suddenly my over aggressive:banghead: sanding the old filter off.:wtf:
so, I just ordered the oil filter cooler mod. lets hope that helps

Back