1981 Engine in 1976 Bike

maftap713

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking for help, i have a 1976 XS650, however the engine is from a 1981 Canadian model 4T6 this engine has points not the tci system, will the wiring coming from the engine be the same as the 1976 engine if not any ideas of what i would need to do to make this work.

And is there any other changes to the electric system required for me to use this engine in my 1976

Thanks for you help

Use the stator and rotor from the 76. This way it all plugs right together. It all bolts right onto the 81 engine. The points will plug right in too.
Using all the 76 electrical parts will keep it simple.
If you want to upgrade the charging system to a solid state regulator and rectifier. It takes a bit of wiring changes but well worth the trouble.
I did on my 75, any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the information I appreciate the feedback, I was thinking of getting rid of the points system and fitting electronic system however mechanically everything is easy for me but electrics is my weak point. Any information on updating the electrics would be good

Thanks again to both of you

If you want to go with an elecronic ignition, may I suggest the Pamco. I use one on my 75 with the green monster coil. It runs great, easy install.
On the reg and rec mods, the information is over at the Garage. Hate to rewrite it all on here. The conversion is easy. I used a $16 reg and $6.58 in parts from Radio Shack and about 45 minutes of assembly. A few more to mount and a perfect charging system. Well maybe not perfect but pretty darn close.

Back