2017 Eclipse

atm at a secret location N of Marion IL. No sign of craziness.... yet... Sorry Pete heard the A bridge was a shit show so crossed at Sarnia.

made the brickyard, that was kinda cool.
20170820_123236.jpg

I'll be the only guy on an XS in Harriman, TN. Pretty rural, but not counting on being able to get any food or drink there.

Legs, I thought you were joking about riding down here! Check your messages, my phone number is there. Give me a shout. Anybody else in the area, send me a message; I don't use the shotgun on motorcyclists unless they're on Hardlies, and I don't even fire on those unless they're running straight pipes.

Right, no madness yet, although the last estimate I was for 80,000 invading Carbondale (pop. 29,000) alone, and 250,000 for the immediate area. Frankly I hope the profiteers throw a party and nobody comes, it would gladden my heart to see some of the greedy SOBs go broke.

This s pretty cool - I was just 5 or 6 the last time (about 1964-66) I was in the right locale.

Cheeses Kay Riced, X marks the spot--that can't be good! If I'm still upright and sucking oxygen in 2024 I just might find someplace else to be for that one!

Nature's own pinhole camera. Hummingbirds were going crazy. Heard a rooster crowing. Out here that's likely to be a feral hootiechicken; you don't want to mess with those, cats and coyotes are main staples of their diet.

Hazy thin clouds and my welding helmet gave good viewing of our 85% eclipse here. adjustable lens shade gave the best view at about #10 and sharpest image was with the lens at arms length. Darned mosquitos took advantage of the "twilight"!

I used a cracker hole and a paper towel about 11 am to see the eclipse without the special glasses. Got the cresent image. Yeah it would have been better at 1030 but I was not home at that time.

We made a quick trip yesterday to the wife's folks's place to set up their New TV...
I've never seen the traffic so heavy ! it wasn't bad going south ...heavy but moving good...
come time to go north and it was bumper to bumper for the entire trip.....
slowed to a crawl 2 times and only got to 60mph most of the way for the entire 75 miles !
.....I saw eclipses before .... and I took my auto darkening welding helmet out today and looked at it.... and set the sensitivity all the way up and it still undimmed on me .... I saw spots for 2 hrs after that .... LOL..... but it's done and over with now and now everyone has to drive home !
glad I stayed put ! LOL
Bob.........

I noticed it was a bit darker thru my tinted windows on the truck driving around at prime time in Tucson. We were in the 60% zone. Whoopy whoopy.

Pulled into Harriman and first thing I saw was a Sonic with lots of space and a big shaded patio, thought that's where I need to be so circled back and parked in the shade and ordered a Sonicburger Combo and put my feet up on the table. 90+ degrees, perfect blue skies. Three or four young families and a couple of young couples. Total solar eclipse is an amazing sight. The most amazing thing was when the shadow began to disappear it started with a tiny glint between the shadow and corona that was the whitest light I ever saw. Probably just two seconds until you couldn't look at it anymore.

Trigger did well on his first big outing after a rebuild. The trip there was 3 hrs of half straight 4-lane and half cool shaded Eastern two lane roads. No traffic, no crowds. On the way back I pulled in for gas and the pump wouldn't accept my zip code. I headed for the next station and started hearing the most gawdawful noise. First thought was tappet was going wild or spring broke. But it pulls okay... Got to the next station and realized it was the gas cap open and flapping from the previous gas station. After that comic relief I was pretty relaxed for the rest of it.

20170821_130146.png
20170821_143338.png

Last edited:
Ok , Ok ! all you guys ready to sacrifice a Virgin to the Gods to get the Sun back RELAX it's OK the sun will come back on it's own.... no need to waste a virgin on that ! just have a beer and relax !!!!
......LOL
Bob.......

Back