3 phase stator voltage uneven, PMA issues

jamesgs4

fuck this, let's ride!
Reaction score
Having some trouble here. I connected my pamco up to a 12v source, and disconnected the stator from the reg/rec and checked the AC voltage with the bike at idle. From 1-2 I get 20V, from 1-3 I get 5.5V, and from 2-3 I get 4.8V. The stator is brand new, and the rotor is only a couple of months old. As far as I know the 3 readings should all be similar around AC 15V+. Anyone have any ideas?

with the bike not running, check ohms lead to lead and from each lead to ground. Perhaps look for a wire shorted out somewhere...

stator leads checked. 1-2 0ohms, 2-3 0ohms,(Shit!) 1-3 is 0.6 Ohms. None go to ground. I should mention that I have been having this problem since before the new stator. To be on the safe side, I also just rewired the bike. Seems like the problem is on the stator side of the wiring?

James is this a stock type stator?
If so (from the charging system guide)
You should be pulling about .5 ohms between any two white leads (unplugged)

Check and if needed knife apart the stator harness looking for a short.

gggGary in the thread title it says PMA issues so I assume he doesn't have a stock rotor.
With those readings the stator is bad. The rotor is just a set of magnets. They spin past the windings of the stator. If the magnets where bad the readings would all be the same. Just low.
With your reading all over the place it has to be the stator. One thing to check is if it was installed a bit off center the rotor can rub on it and cut the wires.
Leo

Ill double check the mounting. dang, I hope I didn't ruin a brand new stator...

Back