Skull 650V-Strom, Rides and tour pics. Regular updates

Go for it, Skull! I owned the SV version of the bike for several years. It was fast, fun, reliable, and easy to work on. The only work it needed was routine maintenance, and the length of the service intervals shocked me.

Did you do any upgrades to the suspension. most i have read is to put emulators in the front and upgrade the rear.

It’s nice to fire up the Vstrom beside the XS. Gives you perspective on how technology has advanced. Still can’t beat the looks of the XS though. I agree Stromtrooper is a good forum to join. I’ve been on it for about a month. Trouble is you won’t get super fast responses to questions. I guess we’re all spoiled by this group and it’s fantastic, knowledgeable members.

At the moment it is a great re-souse for information. Seems most of the questions have been answered before

Or just maybe how technology stood still with the XS. Bought an 82 GS650E in NZ a few months ago, (thinking i could go back with a travel Bubble that popped), and it is at my sons place where he has my 83 heritage special..........he took the GS for a spin and then the XS.........His statement, the GS has great brakes smooth, comfortable, better handling..........the XS is a dinosaur in comparison.......still love the XS more

Well Got it. He is getting the roadworthy done this week. I have some work commitments so should be Mon Next week ill go back and pick it up.

Seat height is great. With my riding boots on i flatfooted. The front suspension has Racetech Gold emulators with rated springs for an 80 Kilo person, (im about 85), and the rear shock is an Elka that is adjustable. A bash plate and aftermarket Muffler. Al the extras make it considered a good deal.

Yea Ha.

Thanks guys. She has been down. No rash marks as though it has gone down at speed, just some pitting on the faring where it has hit the ground and the rear peg rubber is twisted. Hadn't been washed so could see it in its used glory. all in all it should be good. Hasn't been used much n the last 3 years i am told. has replaced the SV with Ducati's, for the road and full on trail bikes for the dirt

Moat definatly some pics later.

Picked the bike up yesterday, Got it unloaded off the ute this morning. Took it for a quick 5klm jornt before it pissed down with rain. Real nice, has plenty of power, (well compared to my 2004, 2.4 MK Triton ute that is), A test of the 100kph' up to 120 kph was quite fast.

Been raining for the last 2 weeks, literally, and with one full fine day, (yesterday), and a couple of dry spells today, hoping for a break tomorrow so i can get a decent ride in. Have to get the papers registered into my name. nearest court house is 25 klm away, looks like part of the trip will be in the rain.....Try out all my new gear, jacket and helmet.......

Some pics
IMG_2829.JPG

scratches
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2836.JPG

It is 16 years old, been used..........a bit of oxidization and paint rubbing,
IMG_2843.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG
IMG_2846.JPG

Good tread About 500 klm's used front and back Sprockets and chain are good
IMG_2833.JPG

He filled the tank up for me,............or is that E for enough??
IMG_2832.JPG

Has a Termignoni muffler Sounds nice, not to loud on the small ride, guess i will test it tomorrow
IMG_2834.JPG

Hit a small bit bit road works. was bracing for it to be a bit harsh, but not at all. Has an Elka rear shock and racetech emulators and straight rated springs in the front .......The suspension upgrades, bash plate, top box and the muffler would cost more than i payed for the bike.........

Last edited:
You’ll appreciate the top case. My helmet just fits in mine so it can be locked in there when I leave the bike parked. I added a nice radiator guard and want a skid plate but the aftermarket exhaust interferes with many brands of plates. They are a joy to ride. Oh and I put on an aftermarket windscreen with deflector to make higher speed cruising more comfortable. I’d like a better seat but I’m too thrifty to make the purchase.

Attachments

• 2AAC1504-4A84-4875-A82C-D30207F1F4F2.jpeg
    2AAC1504-4A84-4875-A82C-D30207F1F4F2.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 128
Thanks Jim, even if its not dry, i think my excitements not going to let a bit of H2O stop me......

Bosco, i just tried the helmet in the box, Just fits. Nice not having to lug them around, I did notice a small amount of buffeting, don't know if it will be a concern...........gotta get the rides in...........The PO added the muffler and a small bit of pipe to the factory headers/exhaust, so i guess that's why the bash plate fits.It has a crack in one corner. Will need to get that fixed.

@bosco659, what is the exhaust system on yours?... More horses?
It’s a Delkevic. Lots of different mufflers available. This one is a bit on the loud side. I can get a baffle for it that drops the noise down 3db. More horses? I got the bike with it so I wouldn’t know for sure, but with any bike or car mods, performance gains are not directly proportional to money spent. Lol. Looks good tho and people can hear you coming. Actually from a safety perspective I don’t mind it being a bit loud.

think i will be staying with my set up.

Couldn't resist it. Just got back from a 70klm jaunt. Dam this thing goes well. Vibrations around the 5,300 rpm mark disappear over about the 5.7 mark Going from 100kph to 140kph so quick. easy to get round cars, i don't like following at 100kph. Muffler makes a great sound, hardly hear it cruising but it growls when i open it up...........Think i'm going to like this. Was a buy that could also have been a bit of an earner in mind......

Sorry to be so long responding, Doug. Yep, I installed Race Tech emulators and springs in the forks and an Ohlins double clicker shock in the rear. From my Stone Age perspective, that Zook motor looks like pure sorcery--11:1 static CR, runs on regular pump gas, gobs of low end torque, 11,500 rpm red line, and 70-plus net hp, all from a 650 twin. And that motor will go 100K miles with decent maintenance. You're gonna love it--congrats!

Did 170 klm yesterday, spent an hour and a half straight in the saddle, a lot of back road and main highway.............mmmmm............think i will need to do something about the seat. starting to reach the limits without a break.

Thanks Dick........better late than never...........like it a lot..........

Off for another ride.

Did 170 klm yesterday, spent an hour and a half straight in the saddle, a lot of back road and main highway.............mmmmm............think i will need to do something about the seat. starting to reach the limits without a break.

Thanks Dick........better late than never...........like it a lot..........

Off for another ride.
My bike came with a lowered seat which was fine for my shirt legs. Found my butt got sore after an hour of riding so I put the stock seat back on. Better but I’d still like something better. Trouble is a Corbin or Sargent saddle is about $800..

Back