'74 TX650 Build (monoshock)

Bike looks great. A medium charcoal grey frame would really contrast well with the blue tank and fender. IMHO:thumbsup:.

Took some more pictures. Sadly, I have to sell the bike. Needs vs. Wants..
20190707_141508.jpg
20190707_133054.jpg
20190707_141138.jpg

Thanks Jim!

Also, if anyone sees something they believe to be dangerous in design/application, please give me your 2¢.
Well, since you asked.... :rolleyes:
You really need to extend the brake stay and actuating rod to get the lever closer to 90deg..... a simple task given your welding skills. If I were asked to give a number, I'd guess your brake effectiveness is only about 25-50% of what it should be. OK for everyday use....'till you need all of it. Think idiots on phones instead of paying attention.:yikes:

Other than that, I think it looks fantastic!! :D

20190707_141138.jpg

Well, at least your neighbor will be pleased. :laughing: Come back when you can stay longer, you do nice work!
Thank you! The work you guys do by providing knowledge is priceless. So thank you for that.

Haha! I haven't heard from Steve since. Nice guy.

With the market as is, I'll be sticking around for a little while and in my true fashion I'll continue to pick away at it....and if it doesn't sell, then that's a sign. And I know signs. Credit: sign guy here.

I can see this going two ways. A.) I sell it and buy another. B.) I buy those three basket cases, keep my bike, and start a collection.

Thank you! The work you guys do by providing knowledge is priceless. So thank you for that.

Haha! I haven't heard from Steve since. Nice guy.

With the market as is, I'll be sticking around for a little while and in my true fashion I'll continue to pick away at it....and if it doesn't sell, then that's a sign. And I know signs. Credit: sign guy here.

I can see this going two ways. A.) I sell it and buy another. B.) I buy those three basket cases, keep my bike, and start a collection.

If you’re like most of us, you’ll start a collection! :laugh2:

Well, since you asked.... :rolleyes:
You really need to extend the brake stay and actuating rod to get the lever closer to 90deg..... a simple task given your welding skills. If I were asked to give a number, I'd guess your brake effectiveness is only about 25-50% of what it should be. OK for everyday use....'till you need all of it. Think idiots on phones instead of paying attention.:yikes:

Other than that, I think it looks fantastic!! :D

View attachment 144833
Oops.

My Athena gasket came in so I ripped out the engine. Boy it helps having the overhead gantry I built! Also I think I found where the oil is leaking into left cylinder...head gasket has oil all over it. I'll be pulling the jugs off as well to get a look at the rings.
Snapchat-1147710048.jpg

20190713_202619.jpg

No one, including myself, noticed how the PO installed the cam chain. It was routed AROUND the tensioner and not through it. Which means the plunger was pressing right on the chain!!! I broke the chain, routed it through, finished up the engine and it fired right up!

Now I'm having a big issue with gas pissing out of the carbs and airpods. I cleaned the carbs. Set the floats to 25mm from surface with no gasket. Still pissing.

I'm thinking it's my petcock or maybe needle/seats. I ordered a rebuild kit today. I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Bike is running really good now.

Carb rebuild kit was only for one, doh!
I put an inline fuel filter in, cleaned needle seats, readjusted floats.

When the sun hits the tank all day it builds pressure inside which forces gas out of the petcock and fills the bowls, causing overflow.

Seems the tank cap is vented only one way.

Since I sold the bike the new owner has been providing updates whenever he's not working the pipeline.
He put in a new PMA , and has had the front wheel re-spoked paired with white walls. I'll see if I can get more pictures.

Building this bike and being apart of this community has brought me great joy and I'm scouring the countryside for another XS!IMG_2317.png IMG_2352.jpg

Back