77 motor in 81 xs650

leebizz

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Ok before you guys say search the forum I have . I have a 81 xs650 that recently ate a valve and I found a replacement motor from a 1977 xs650 and wanted to know is it a direct swap including harness etc... Because I noticed on the 81 I have 2 loose wires and 2 plugs and the 77 motor Nole has the 2 loose wires and 1 plug . I know the 81 has electronic ignition and the 77 doesn't and I know the motor will physically fit the question is more about the harness

If you are just dealing with a 77 harness VS 81 harness YES THEY are different
The 77 has points and separate REG/REG if bone stock. The 81 is a TCI setup so the plugs are different for charging and electronics.
The swap should go like this Leave or pull points plate Pull alternator and rotor and swap with the 1981 parts . Not a hard swap. I have got motors in that were converted and still had points plate in. Your bike is 1981 correct so wires are not a issue.

Attachments

• 650 wires.jpg
    650 wires.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 133
Yea that's the plan . And it's a 75 btw not a 77 but I am going to swap the rotor and stator and over from my old 81 and put it on the 75 motor . Now I just gotta to order the rotor puller tool

Back