79, running only 1 petcock??

racerdave

^ Gone not forgotten ^
Reaction score
To those that have done this or may know: How much fuel if any won't transfer from the side that doesn't have a petcock, due to the tunnel in the tank? Did you just run a T into both carb fuel inlets, or cap them, and put a T in the crossover line between carbs?

Don't know how much fuel gets trapped by the tunnel, but I don't think it's much, if any.

"Did you just run a T into both carb fuel inlets, or cap them, and put a T in the crossover line between carbs?"
This I do know about. Do neither. Do not use a T. Keep crossover as is. Run a single line to one carb. Cap off the other carb's inlet. Use a short piece of hose with a stud or something to plug the other end of the short hose. This is by far the easiest and cleanest way. Works just fine.

Dog, I'm not worrried about all out accelleration, but lets say I'm passing a semi and rolling on the throttle, just using the crossover tube to fill the other carb, makes me wonder if it can flow enough that way, and not starve that other carb of fuel under my scenario?

If it didn't work for you, it would be easy enough to change.
I've been running like this for a long time. When dialing in my main jets I did a lot of full throttle rolls: at about 4,000 rpm you rapidly twist the throttle all the way open. By rapid I don't mean you snap it -- I don't even think the engine could handle opening as fast as you can possibly twist the wick. But you do open it pretty fast. I never had any problems.

I've given a little additional thought to your question. I understand your concern with my answer -- you think the far carb might get starved. But, look at where the crossover tube is in relationship to the inlet. They form a tee. If you were flowing fuel so fast as to starve one carb, I don't think if you run a T to both carb fuel inlets, or cap them, and put a T in the crossover line between carbs is going to change anything.

BTW, I ran a tee to both carb inlets for a while. It was a pita, and I'm a lot happier now.

Back