Fuel demand and modding tanks

MedicWild

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am at the point in my dirt tracker build where I am fitting tanks. I found this Honda XL250 high tunnel tank in decent shape for $60 and hope to run duel fuel lines off it. The petcock I found has two 1/4” lines off of it but I am worried the 650 engine may outpace the supply. I have no experience to back up this concern and would love everyone’s input. Thanks in advance!

IMG_8758.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8759.jpeg
    IMG_8759.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 17
Unless you plan on setting a land speed record, that petcock will be more than enough.

Most likely more than enough for a LSR too.
Haha. Thank you for the reply. I figured this to be the case. I’ll post more when I hit that LSR

I think when finished the Honda tank will look pretty smart above the XS motor. Although perhaps you could extend the back a bit so it can go further forward. The extension could be just a facade and need not hold fuel. A friend did that to a Tracker tank and it made the tank look a perfect match for the seat.

No idea how big an orifice you would need, but I just finished spinning up two barbs for the petcocks, the orifice is 4mm, same as the original orifices. So presumably anything 4mm or bigger should do.

Attachments

• WIN_20240416_11_54_41_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240416_11_54_41_Pro.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 8
No idea how big an orifice you would need, but I just finished spinning up two barbs for the petcocks, the orifice is 4mm, same as the original orifices. So presumably anything 4mm or bigger should do.

If you've ever drained a tank into a gallon milk jug, you'll know that the jug overflows in less than 10 min. That's more than 6 gallons an hour flow rate... and that's a single barb. Think an XS650 will ever suck down about two tank fulls in an hour? :wink2:

I'm not in the habit of filling milk jugs with petrol and timing it, but whatever floats your boat I suppose!

Well, not a habit exactly but I went through filling jugs with petrol and timing the result to measure flow rates with the wee Bullet 500. The fuel tap that came with the bike gave more of a dribble than a decent flow, replacing it resolved the issues I had with the bike conking out.

Discussed hereabouts - https://www.xs650.com/threads/2003-royal-enfield-500-deluxe.60842/post-762111

Back