A ripp'n hardtail bobber build from a seized, desert rat: CALLING ALL DESTROYERS

I have a set of those signals sitting in a box..I realllllly like how you mounted them..looks clean.

Let us know how that throttle works out. I have a similar one that I had troubles getting to work with my single cable set up.. the metal throttle insert stuck a bunch on the bars, didnt slide as smooth as I wanted it to

pamcopete install:

i saw that hugh had update his blog with instructions on how to install the pamcopete. it was decided to comb through the ignition and check with hugh's directions to see if anything needed to be adjusted. other than the washers added to the mounting screws for the electrical everything was all good. thanks hugh!

directions found here:
http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-pamcopete-277-ignition-install.html

fast one:

as mentioned earlier my uppers are totally mangled and its holding up some of the final production on the front bobber and such. i found new uppers on mikes xs however they have the following as their description:

ScreenShot2012-06-17at72928PM.png

in an attempt to pull a fast one, i thought id buy uppers with 2 inches longer than stock (as they are in stock) and machine them to the correct length. turns out the uppers are a lot more than i anticipated and the fast one was pulled on me:

upper details:

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

they will be on their way back to mikes....

i welded up my fender mounts, ready for #16's coarse thread bolts
which to clear up any confusion, my entire bike is metric except for these two bolts
as theres nothing metric about #16s coarse thread, i almost want to re-tap them
thumbs down:

IMG_4929.jpg

I almost hate to mention that Hugh's is selling metric bungs now..........

Nice build, great ducumentation. I've been lurking here for quite a while.

anti-vibes:

with all the literature about the vibes of the xs650, one of my early purchases were these anti vibration bar ends:
IMG_4925.jpg

now I'm as anti as the next motorcycle rider, expect of course if I'm being compared to the petty cheer team on two wheels the discovery channel is currently running episodes of, than I'm super duper anti! but these anti vibes just aren't going to work with my jack hammer grips:

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

the bar ends are pretty clean and minimal but for calling all destroyers they just aren't going to work. the construction however is solid and pretty straight forward and i wouldn't mind using them in the future.

IMG_4926.jpg

calling all destroyers will require custom bar ends, which i have some ideas for....more to come later....

I have a set of those signals sitting in a box..I realllllly like how you mounted them..looks clean.

Let us know how that throttle works out. I have a similar one that I had troubles getting to work with my single cable set up.. the metal throttle insert stuck a bunch on the bars, didnt slide as smooth as I wanted it to

thanks!
and what did you end up using for a throttle?

lead shot! grout! cork tape! bar snakes!!!!
theres a grip of ideas on this forum to help diminish bar vibrations

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12306&highlight=vibration+bar+end

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318&highlight=vibration+bar+end

but it sounds like the solid aluminum handle bar mount bushings, rephased motor, use of all motor mounts, new bearings and tires help the most. all of which I'm implementing so I'm going to move forward with my idea for custom bar ends that won't interfere with my grips-hopefully they work. if not i can always try making a set of drag bars out lead shot!

anti-vibes:

with all the literature about the vibes of the xs650, one of my early purchases were these anti vibration bar ends:
IMG_4925.jpg

now I'm as anti as the next motorcycle rider, expect of course if I'm being compared to the petty cheer team on two wheels the discovery channel is currently running episodes of, than I'm super duper anti! but these anti vibes just aren't going to work with my jack hammer grips:

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

the bar ends are pretty clean and minimal but for calling all destroyers they just aren't going to work. the construction however is solid and pretty straight forward and i wouldn't mind using them in the future.

IMG_4926.jpg

calling all destroyers will require custom bar ends, which i have some ideas for....more to come later....

Im using the stock throttle and housing right now, until I find something else..my next step is replacing everything on me bars.. Hydro clutch, banshee brake res. and a nice little throttle

on my way home tonight i stopped in the local HD dealership to check out the mirrors found on sportsters. i figured since I'm not running a sportster tank on my bobber i gotta have something from one :) anyways, after getting a bunch of compliments on my cafe i finally made my way to the parts department...and there they were, brand new black tapered mirrors. to my surprise i didn't have to buy a pair, i was able to purchase one and i went with the right since i was planning on mounting underneath my bars on the left side. what a lucky day! while standing in line to purchase the mirror i suddenly became sad that i was going to put a HD part on my bike. i mean HD's are HD's and they are meant to stay away from my yamaha right? turns out the mirrors aren't made by HD they are only used by HD. my lucky day indeed. that was of course until i realized that the mirror wouldn't fit the mount i had waiting for it...

7/8 bar mirror mount and m10 /1.25 bolt used to plug it:
IMG_4949.jpg

after some plugging, drilling and tapping the mirror fits in the bar mount (stem is a bit long):
IMG_4951.jpg

turned down the stem to length i wanted:
IMG_4952.jpg

boom!
IMG_4954.jpg

the shape of the mirror actually mimics the shape of the knee pad on the bridgestone tank not to mention theres a whole lot of mirror to see around -pretty nice!!!

I love this build! So original! Following has had the added benefit of answering several questions I've had, but have been unable to find the answers to. I can't wait to see it done!

So I sorted out my throttle, in case your still troubled with yours.

Im using a aluminum/chrome housing from dime city cycles, that was originally for dual throttle setup (this doesnt matter)

Its pretty heavy duty, and I just had a custom cable made up, which worked out to be exact same lenght as the stock one. All I had to do was file down a little lip on part of it so the cable fit in nice and snug.

cool
are you running stock carbs?

So I sorted out my throttle, in case your still troubled with yours.

Im using a aluminum/chrome housing from dime city cycles, that was originally for dual throttle setup (this doesnt matter)

Its pretty heavy duty, and I just had a custom cable made up, which worked out to be exact same lenght as the stock one. All I had to do was file down a little lip on part of it so the cable fit in nice and snug.

i have exactly one month and one week to get CALLING ALL DESTROYERS on the road in time for centerfold shoot and road trip....let counting begin now...ugh

Rear fender:

last month at the swap meet i found this fender:
IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_4978-1.jpg

i believe its a narrow glide of some sort but whatever it is it fits my 21" rear perfectly. it also works due to the flush top as the fender struts were welded in on in the inside-great for how i intend to mount the fender.

after a minutes with a cut off wheel, cutting out the fender struts:
IMG_4974-1.jpg

i realized i mangled the flush, dentless fender:
IMG_4975-1.jpg

no worries, the swap meet is meeting tomorrow and i was planning on attending anyways. these fenders were a dime a dozen so I'm sure ill find one to replace this. letting this one be the test dummy.

here are some photos of inspiration for the rear fender mount:
Eleftsidefullbike.jpg

5549495490_20baabeae1_b.jpg

Wally_XS650_9a-1.jpg

notice how my rear fender bungs are not concave to fit the radius of the fender:
IMG_4981.jpg

to get the curve, i first cut a section of the fender off:
IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_4980.jpg

then used the section to line up on the bungs allowing me to scribe in the curve:
IMG_4982.jpg

nothing a grinder can't accomplish!

after my first attempt with the grinder, this is how things are sitting:
good on top:
IMG_4983.jpg

spacey on bottom:
IMG_4984.jpg

after some finesse and realizing the diameter of the grinder wheel gave me the best radius for the bungs, i got it all to work out

mounting hardware:
IMG_4986.jpg

mounted:
IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

IMG_4993.jpg

now all i need to do is weld in the frame cross member and find a new fender and its done

one month one week...still ugh...

Back