A ripp'n hardtail bobber build from a seized, desert rat: CALLING ALL DESTROYERS

rear lights:
the turn signals i found came with an amber light. i ended up finding red leds that fit the turn signals. i need red because i these lights will be my turn signal, running lights and brake lights all in one (more on that magic later):
IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

going through all the parts, i was having some compatibility issues. turns out those dope minimal sport clutch and brake levers have a hard time matching up with the stock master cylinder (which has a brake light switch built in):
IMG_5046-1.jpg

as a result i found these levers and powdered them black. not as short as the sport levers but not as long as the monstrous stocks:
IMG_5269.jpg

switching over to the new levers meant the need for the sport clutch lever and perch was no longer. a blessing, after looking at the left side handlebar set up, things were becoming too cluttered- a perch for a mirror and a perch for a clutch. come on!
IMG_4951-2.jpg

i found this little gem, compatible with the new clutch lever and mounts the sportster mirror all-in-one:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/09-6581.html

by the way
mikesxs sucks
they aren't perfect though the pretend they are
and this image doesn't match the object that will arrive at your door step
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/09-6578.html
i will do everything in my power to never buy from them again

other than chasing threads, putting small bits together, and consolidating parts tonight was pretty uneventful. tomorrow ill be fishing wire through the frame. I'm looking forward to that like I'm looking forward to putting another hole in my head.

any research reports regarding the gusset strength question?

I searched a bit but only found more opinions on the matter without any true scientific explanations or test results. I forget where I first read about the 90degree issue but afterwards noticed not many, if any, factory produced bikes, cars, products having sharp angled gussets. It makes sense to me but like everything I found, I can't back it up with any methodical scientific testing.

keep it up the good work and try not to let the recent frustrations slow you down too much.

avenue.

Last edited:
thanks ave
like you i didn't find any scientific explanations but the logic makes sense to me. i went with the design i already had. i don't plan on this thing being a canyon runner. definitely a lane splitter is the los angeles traffic but i nothing hard.

any research reports regarding the gusset strength question?

I searched a bit but only found more opinions on the matter without any true scientific explanations or test results. I forget where I first read about the 90degree issue but afterwards noticing not many, if any, factory produced bikes, cars, products having sharp angled gussets. It makes sense to me but like everything I found, I can't back it up with any methodical scientific testing.

keep it up the good work and try not to let the recent frustrations slow you down too much.

avenue.

breather:

i can't find the link but i know there is discussion about the need to plug one of the outlets on a double beather. i was at the hardware store looking for something else on a different project and came across this:
IMG_5272.jpg

the idea is that when the bolt tightens up the rubber swells turning it into a minimal plug.
its no ear plug http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2114&highlight=plug+breather but it does the trick:

IMG_5273.jpg

ill be running my crankcase breather hose down through to two rear down tube mounts and connecting my filter where it exits. picture to come...

today was a good day

got started with fishing wires through the frame. only took me an hour! i was expecting an all day affair. with the wires through i was able to get started on true assembly AND the post office delivered my new uppers!!!!

IMG_5276.jpg

tomorrow will be a day of wiring

ignition mount:

the ignition I'm using calls for a 3/4" hole on the mount
IMG_5278.jpg

the stock horn location seemed to be a good location for the ignition. the horn mount works perfect for an ignition mount:
IMG_5277.jpg

the only modification was to drill out the hole for 3/4":
IMG_5279.jpg

yesterday was a day of wiring. the wire diagram on this bike in theory is pretty simple as there isn't much to wire other than lights and an engine.

boy was i wrong. i found a module that turns my rear single phase lights into day time running lights, brake, and turn signals. getting it connected to the turn signal/kill switch was a PAI:
IMG_5287.jpg

and at the end of the day it was discovered that the module does in fact work like described. the switch however doesn't match its installation directions:
IMG_5288.jpg

wiring 1 builder 0

turns out fishing wires through the frame has been the easiest part!

so i missed my deadline. no worries i got sick anyways and missed my trip and everything else this bike was supposed to be ready for....

in the meantime i had some issues with my rear wheel. there are many options when it comes to a hard tail frame for the xs. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2596 i of course went with the tc bros hard tail. mocking up the the build the rear wheel was a bit tight but i was able to get things in with out a hitch. now after being powder coated or whatever the case may be, the rear wheel has no chance of getting in with the proper spacers.

the measurement of the inner space near the cross member:
IMG_0017.jpg

the measurement of the space at the axel plates:
IMG_0018.jpg

fixing the measurement:
IMG_0022.jpg

everything fits now

fluids, brembo brake, electrical, bar ends, front lights, paint, torque bolts, adjust valves- all left to do. but at least we are rolling:

IMG_0024.jpg

I still think this is one of the best builds here, and the bike is looking great..

Is it on a sloped driveway? The bottom of the frame appears to be on quite an angle..
Could this be caused by the large rear wheel and low front end?

Anyways..keep up the excellent work..It check the thread daily

thanks man
yes the bike is on a slopped driveway but i do think the rear tire, lowered front end and camera angle play apart in the angle of the frame.

I still think this is one of the best builds here, and the bike is looking great..

Is it on a sloped driveway? The bottom of the frame appears to be on quite an angle..
Could this be caused by the large rear wheel and low front end?

Anyways..keep up the excellent work..It check the thread daily

bar ends:
remember these bar ends that i was originally planning on using?
IMG_4928.jpg

well they weren't going to work with my grips but they inspired me to come up with a slim version that would fit inside my grips:
IMG_0021.jpg

the thought being when the steel bushing tightens to the aluminum bushing, the rubber swells locking the bar end in place. the steel bushing should harmonically reduce vibration while the entire bar end is out of out sight and out of mind:
photo-12-1.jpg

repeat: "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." "i will not let this thing get the best of me." ......

f electrical! i wish edison wasnt such a greedy inventor and would have let tesla done his thing. i bet if tesla really flourished we would be building bikes with little capsules of energy running entire electrical systems without any wires at all....
photo-3-3.jpg

but edison was who we was and im stuck running a million wires from here to there. and dealing with lame modules that dont do what they are supposed to.

the first module i used for run/ brake/ turn signals ended up burning out on me. on a whim i found this at a douchie motorcycle shop in LA:
photo-2-3.jpg

turns out it did what it was supposed to. except my turn signals didnt blink due to the module needing a relay. but whos was space for a giant relay?
photo-4-3.jpg

i ended up trading in for the illuminator plus 3 which has a relay inside as well:
photo-5-1.jpg

finally my lights do what they are supposed to. however the illuminator plus 3 has a an auto-cancel feature for the turn signals which means the switch that i was planning on using and not planning on having so much difficulty wont work as every time i click the switch it triggers the module to flash my turn signals. no worries though, i found a solution that will work perfectly and keep the minimal look im trying to capture.

Back