A ripp'n hardtail bobber build from a seized, desert rat: CALLING ALL DESTROYERS

does anybody know INDIANAXS650?
i paid him for a pair of forks but he hasn't sent them nor returned any of my messages. if you know him can you please ask him to contact me...
wtf!

He bought my header pipes from me... face to face, but he doesn't live in Indy.

careful with your new gussets. the new gusset being 90degrees to the backbone creates a focused stress point. some say, a 90 degree gusset does more harm than good. Cutting a radius into the open end of the gusset helps flow the stress and torsion across the tubes it supports instead of straight into one point.

The project is looking awesome and inspiring me to push through the last few items in my bike. And, I might be stealing your brake switch idea. cleanest install I've seen, yet!

keep it up,
avenue.

interesting I'm going to research this. thanks for the heads up

careful with your new gussets. the new gusset being 90degrees to the backbone creates a focused stress point. some say, a 90 degree gusset does more harm than good. Cutting a radius into the open end of the gusset helps flow the stress and torsion across the tubes it supports instead of straight into one point.

The project is looking awesome and inspiring me to push through the last few items in my bike. And, I might be stealing your brake switch idea. cleanest install I've seen, yet!

keep it up,
avenue.

spring:

as described earlier I've decided to use a single shock for my seat spring.
I've had a hard time finding springs for this application for reasons unknown to me. it doesn't seem like I've invented this. either i don't know how to use google or theres a secret club for mono shocks that i haven't been included in. whatever the reason is i finally found something that works and boy does it work

options (the two springs on the left and middle are the same though i tried anodizing the one on the very left. they are cheap. they are crap. they don't work. they are not worth your time or money. did i mention they are pieces of #&**&*(@@_@! ?)

IMG_5168.jpg

*the one on the right is tight and works so well. its my gem and it looks dope too

installed:
IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

boing boing boing!

rear tank mount (finally):
the rear mount for the tank needed a lot of attention and a lot of work to get the right height for the right lines...

piercing the frame with a through hole:
IMG_5194.jpg

figuring how long to make the threaded reinforced rod:
IMG_5195.jpg

the rod was tapped, mount was made from bent bar stock:
IMG_5198.jpg

tank tacked into place:
IMG_5200.jpg

i do it:
IMG_5201.jpg

brake rod or 3 times a charm:

the brake rod needed to be extended based on the placing of the brake components. at firs t a new rod was used but after two attempts the o.g. rod was chopped up at both ends and 1/4" rod welded into place to get that nice straight line perfectly for a soon to be chrome brake rod:

photo-2-2.jpg

after hours of welding, cleaning o.g. welds and such all pieces have been dropped off for chroming or powder coating.

all thats left:
IMG_5204.jpg

10am this morning:

caller: hello? aaron? i have bad news.
aaron: whats that?
caller: the tank we use for chrome is down?
aaron: uhhh whats that?
caller: the tank we use for chrome is down?
aaron: uhhh sweet! whats that mean for me?
caller: we won't be able to do the chrome for you?
aaron: why didn't you tell me this last week when i dropped the parts off?
caller: we probably should've...
aaron: @#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@#$#$%^&*()

putting a fork in a waste of a day:

despite my forks getting sent out to be lowered, cleaned, seals replaced and powder coated, there was something fishy about them. once they were placed in my triple trees i was having hella problems getting things straight. so many problems in fact that it required a closer look. upon inspection, i suspected that the uppers were bent.

mikesxs is useless and are out of stock on new stock length uppers forever. i hit up a fellow user and he said he had what i needed. after a shipping mishap i finally received the forks:

photo-9-1.jpg

they don't look like they are from an xs650 and i was proven right by the fact that they don't come apart like forks for the xs650 are supposed.

hugh writes up a good thread on how to deal with assembling forks http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5537&highlight=rebuild+forks

on these yellow uglies theres a disc held in place by a spring clip. a total pain but accomplishable. once the disc was out i was able to estimate that the uppers on these "big birds" to be about 3-4" longer than the stock xs650 uppers.

photo-10.jpg

hopefully our fellow forum user man's up and returns my money for selling me these things under false pretense.

f'n forks gonna make miss my deadline

i don't even have the words to express my frustration....

prius riderz revisited:
remember the beginning of this while mess? well it practically started in a prius. its only right the beginning of the end is in a prius as well:

IMG_5262.jpg

Back