About That Wire Coming Off the Battery ...

fiveohindc

'77 XS650
Reaction score
The thick gauge wire coming off the positive terminal of the battery... I need one, and Mike's is out of stock. With the leads and all. Any supplier (internet or otherwise) that may have one?

I have just mastered soldering some of those very thin wires... Not real sure I could do this one myself.

I think I may have an extra. Locally farm/ag supply will usually offer cables.
Some automotive stores will make cables. If you can cruise an auto/bike salvage yard you may find something. XSLeo recommends this as you can find a larger diameter wire. I don't remember if he pointed to any speicfic vehicles.
Or there is always the sites classifieds or e-bay.

Here's how I soldered mine. I used one of those little blowtorch cigarette lighters for heat. I used regular 60/40 tin/lead solder. I got pure copper ends at either autozone or similar. I coated the end of the wire and inside the cup of the end with solder. This is called tinning the parts. Then I put the lug in a vice grip and sat a brick on it and stuck the wire end into the cup, then melted more solder down into the cup. Very easy. To strip that kind of big wire approach it like you were sharpening a pencil and whittle the insulation back 5/8" or so.

Do you have a local auto parts store.....a good ol' boy shop, not one of those chain stores like OReillys or Autozone?

My local NAPA is run by a guy that knows his stuff. He makes custom battery cables right there......however you want em.....while you wait.

Using a heavier gauge cable will make the starter work better. The bigger cable carries current with less resistance so more power gets to where it needs to get.
The stock is 8 ga cable, I got some 4 and 2 ga cable at a car salvage yard. Enough so I could replace the cable from the battery to the starter relay, from the relay to the starter and the battery to frame as well as a cable from one of the starter mount bolts to battery negative.
This extra cable skips over all the connections af the starter ground to the battery ground.
With the new cables and new battery it spins the 750 kitted 75 much better. This makes starting easier.
Leo

While I have you, is the cable from battery positive to the starter relay where the fuse should be? The previous owner seems to have removed the fuse and I would like to put one in, just don't know where it belongs. From looking at the parts diagram, I THINK that's where it goes.

They have some heavy gauge battery cables at the boat store nearby, I may check those out.

That should be it unless you have a new roof in there. We need one of those too. ;)

If you wanna link up somewhere, lemme know. I'm pretty flexible. How much you want for it?

Don't want anything for it. Just pay it forward when you can. I work in falls church and live in sterling.

Coming off the battery is a heavy cable, 8 ga. There is also a smaller red wire, about 14 ga. The fuse goes in the smaller red wire.
Putting a fuse between the battery and starter isn't nessary.
Leo

5F519D9C_zps7a06ab92.jpg

This one right?

Last edited:
That looks right. The heavy cable hooks from battery positive to the starter relay. The small red wire has a female plug in. The stock fuse holder plugs in to this connector.
The other end of the fuse holder plug into another female in the harness.
Here is a pic of the one Mike's sells. The stock has red leads. item #10-2004
Leo

Attachments

• 10-2004 fuse holder.jpg
    10-2004 fuse holder.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 60
awesome, thanks.

xsleo-- thanks, that's what i need to do. i've read i should use the blade style fuses though. i see them on mikes as well...

Yes, the blade type fuses are a good upgrade. You can get blade type fuse holders and put bullet connectors on it to plug into the stock harness. I like the one Radio Shack sells. It has a cover, not weather proof but a bit more so than the ones from parts stores or Wal Mart. A bit less expencize too.
Leo

Back