Aftermarket Throttle Questions

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Few questions:

Specs: 7/8" bars, 1973 38 carbs

Can anyone recommend a decent, minimal aftermarket throttle? I'm looking for is a minimal twistie throttle with no switches/buttons or just a horn button.

Will this 2-1 throttle cable work from MikeXS? Mine has a 2-2 right now, so ugly.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-61.html#51-6506

Throttle Cable (Black) Fits: 1976-84 Stock Throttle to Mikuni VM 34/36/38mm.
Non CV aftermarket carbs. 2-1 type design, machined steel junction box.
- Quality made in Japan.

Also fits XS Performance Keihin PWK 32 Carb Kit (XS Part # 48-9010)

Replacement 2-1 Throttle cable for XS650 PWK 32mm. XS Performance Carb
Set for XS650

Made In Japan
Part #51-6506

Ohh, silly me, I need to worry about adding a hydraulic brake lever now, too.

How about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...torcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

And what to do for the hydraulic brake lever perch and MC?

EDIT:

Ah, maybe this ? Anyone have any comments on the quality of this guy?

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-71.html#08-4003

Slimline Lightweight Master Cylinder
Replacement Lightweight (11.1oz.) Front Master Cylinder Assembly Ideal
for 77-84 Street Trackers or stock bikes with Single Disc brake.
11.0mm. piston bore. Brake Light Switch and Banjo Bolt included.

Or do I need to get the "Magura Brake (RH) Master Cylinder Assy" (same page) b/c I have a '73?

Maybe someone can suggest a more comprehensive approach to this, as I'm sure some of you have more minimalistic controls on yours :)

Last edited:
Since I haven't looked at a set of carbs on these earlier than a '77, I'll let someone else comment on the ease of using a 2 into 1 cable. As far as throttle, I picked these up: Lowbrow Beston style throttle and grips. And any of those MCs will work. You could always go with a remote MC setup, and hide the MC behind the headlight etc.

The ball ends on the bottom of that 2-1 cable won't fit the levers on your CV carbs. They're made to fit inside the slides of VM carbs and are too small for the CV carb throttle levers.

So it looks like I'll be needing to make a custom cable. Any insight on that 2-1 junction box for sale on mikexs? The description says:

2 to 1 Cable Junction Box (1 cable in - 2 cables out)
Round Steel Junction with thread on top cap and Nylon
inner slide/Junction.

For Custom Cable Building
Upper Single inlet fits a 6mm. OD outer cable
Lower Dual outlet fits two outer cables of 5mm. OD

Note: Cable Box must be hydraulically crimped to retain
outer cable ends once they are fitted to the junction box.

I've never made cables, but I have a lot of experience with electrical soldiering, so I'm not worried about that aspect of it. However.... WTF does hydraulically crimped mean?

It basically means you squeeze the bottom the junction box to crimp the outer cables into the junction box. The completed cables have about 6 flat spots on the bottom 1/2" of the junction box where you can tell it's been squeezed to hold the outer cables. I'm not sure how this would be possible to do without the proper tool.

Put on a linked set of carbs from a 76-79 bike. They use just one cable.

Back