Air filter

Lets just say there might be more than one opinion on that. I do LIGHTLY oiled green uni sheet on stock filter frames. Just did the same on a 99 royal star venture, 10K miles, but Mr. (or Mrs) mouse shredded one of the paper filters.

Last edited:
+2 for oil. 5-6 drops of a light two stroke oil then roll the filter between my hands to distribute.

I do a quite a bit of lawn farm equipment maintenance. While nothing beats an old fashioned oil bath filter, a light coat of oil on the foam has to help trap dirt particles and hold them in the foam keeping your engine cleaner. Which works as long as you pull and wash the foam now and then. On lawn mowers I am impressed with how dirty the wash water gets.

Your supposed to mow grass, not the dirt!.
Kidding aside, i would go the few drops route

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg In the early 70's, on my motocross bikes, I would wash them in gas, then soak in 50:1 oil gas mix. Wring out and let dry. And as a last defense I would rub grease on the inside in and around near the mouth of the carb. You would not believe the grit I would find in the grease after a dusty race.
Yes, with open cell foam, without oil, the dirt will make it's way eventually to your carb throat.
On that note, I've been messing with my air filters and did the foam thing. Here's a few Picts:

Your XS2 "306" filter is quite similar to my XS1B "256" filter.
So, you simply cut out the paper, kept the shell, re-wrapped with foam?
Excellent! I'll do that to mine when they're past due.
Does the "pull clip" easily pop out of the frame, to grant access?

Your XS2 "306" filter is quite similar to my XS1B "256" filter.
So, you simply cut out the paper, kept the shell, re-wrapped with foam?
Excellent! I'll do that to mine when they're past due.
Does the "pull clip" easily pop out of the frame, to grant access?

My buddy in NJ with the XS1B uses the same one.
Yes, just rip it out. Actually, the 46 year old epoxy is brittle and one came apart. Well, 2018 epoxy held it back together.
Yes, the old needle nose works well.

image.jpeg image.jpeg By the way, the rubber seal also doesn't do well with gas or Mineral spirits. Mine fell right off. Bought this insulation tape at Home Depot for $11. For me it will be a lifetime supply. 2 layers works well. Once it's on, you gotta scrape it off. So do be careful, blokes.
The vent filters I've also experimented with. 2 sheets per filter, folded and wrapped and tucked under the clip. Free breathing, but probably not great for trapping fine particles.

Back