Any threads on converting hardtail back to swingarm

Rephrase that, where would one get the proper stamps? Probably be more than one would want to spend. This would be a really useful floating tool.

From what I heard.............
You lay all the numbers down together and put them between two pieces of flat metal that holds them together and clamp them with a clamp or you can tack weld them too.
This way you can do a test hit on wood first so that you know what its going to look like.
The proper stamps are 3/16" on YAM Honda they are a little bigger
I would just buy a neck and weld it up.
Most states want title to match frame. I have done Honda with Kaw motor or BSA with Triumph motor
Motor doesn't matter in most states but I would check.

just grab some pliers and get some good light and a good eye. it's not tough. can you weld straight? then im sure you can do this. if you have shakey hands or bad sight then id get a buddy to help. not all bikes use one giant stamp. like i said its who inspects it...if youre really worried get a neck sticker to go with it. or get some sheet metal and cut a slot in it that you can stick the numbers in and use as a guide. i dont know about anyone else, but around here people at the dmv are not trained in depth on this stuff. And the older these bikes get the less familar these people are with them...oh back then yamaha hand stamped their frames....no one is going to argue with that.

Hardtails are legal...they just gotta be registered as a custom and has to be fabb'd by a custom shop certified as a vehicle manufacturer...or illegally by keeping the neck numbers an registering it at the dmv as a stock bike and getting insurance with only liabilty ..hopefully the insurance co doesnt want to take pics..no theft no fire no reason to take pics...piggies might give you a hassle if they're in the know..imagine if someone was selling a kit to convert a hardtail back to stock...lol..so many projects would get finished..i kinda get ill at the thought of more stockish looking bikes on the road...that last part was just to pour alittle gasoline of the chop/stock debate...lol..jus playin ladies:thumbsup:

Btw johngofast : nice gear on your site...diggin it man really sharp. Ever think of doing any of that in leather ?

Hardtails are legal...they just gotta be registered as a custom and has to be fabb'd by a custom shop certified as a vehicle manufacturer...or illegally by keeping the neck numbers an registering it at the dmv as a stock bike and getting insurance with only liabilty ..hopefully the insurance co doesnt want to take pics..no theft no fire no reason to take pics...piggies might give you a hassle if they're in the know..imagine if someone was selling a kit to convert a hardtail back to stock...lol..so many projects would get finished..i kinda get ill at the thought of more stockish looking bikes on the road...that last part was just to pour alittle gasoline of the chop/stock debate...lol..jus playin ladies:thumbsup:

Btw johngofast : nice gear on your site...diggin it man really sharp. Ever think of doing any of that in leather ?

Thank you! Naw haven't wanted to do leather, plenty of other people doing leather aprons for $200++, I like to keep my stuff affordable, and just never been a big fan of leather. I do Nomex though. :)

My newest machinist aprons are now available at VisionaryCycleProducts.com

Hardtails are legal...

Hi Pirate,
another Torontonian who thinks the world is flat and the edge is at the Ontario border, eh?
note that Hard y rd posts from PEI where it seems that hardtails are illegal.
WTF do the PEI vintage guys do? Up to the late 1940s most bikes left the factory as hardtails, even if they were called "rigid frames" back then.
Perhaps they are grandfathered?
There's the answer!
Tell them it's a 1947.

Hi Pirate,
another Torontonian who thinks the world is flat and the edge is at the Ontario border, eh?
note that Hard y rd posts from PEI where it seems that hardtails are illegal.
WTF do the PEI vintage guys do? Up to the late 1940s most bikes left the factory as hardtails, even if they were called "rigid frames" back then.
Perhaps they are grandfathered?
There's the answer!
Tell them it's a 1947.

That vintage grandfather thing doesn't have significance anymore. Just applies to antique cars and trucks. They're pulling hard tails off the road here (pei) and other provinces as well. Even if they were original hard tails. Guys are still riding them. I just don't have the connections. I would proudly ride mine, just need that little green inspection sticker. I've seen worse shit on the road.

Back