Anyone ever bought a seat from EBAY

One of my bikes has a Sargent seat on it. I had it done over ten years and 50,000 miles ago. It still looks great. It shows no wear at all. If I send them a good pan with a duct tape cover $300 or so, should get me a very nice custom seat to my own specification. If I have any difficulty, I'm dealing with a known reputable company doing the work in Jacksonville, FL. Just a thought.

Sargent policy for alterations:
WARRANTIES & POLICIES

Custom Foam Alterations Policy

While most simple seat foam modifications (i.e. foam upgrades, lowering/narrowing, moving rises) produce initial satisfactory results, more complex changes or combining multiple changes to the same seat may require testing and further adjustments at the customer’s expense.

Because foam alteration requests, suggestions, or recommendations, for the purpose of improving comfort, are most often speculative in nature, we cannot guarantee that they will result in any particular level of improved comfort. It should not be assumed that custom contour changes will necessarily yield satisfactory results, and because these alterations are done by hand, a moderate margin of error is typical and contour changes are not guaranteed to be exactly as specified.

Custom Seat Services Limited Warranty

We warranty all of our upholstery and foam products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of purchase. We will gladly and promptly correct any problems that occur within this time period (return freight is the sole responsibility of the customer). Incidental or consequential damages arising from or in connection with the installation of a seat modified by Sargent Cycle Products are not covered by this warranty.

Anyone entering into a purchasing agreement for custom seat services agrees to this warranty and limitations of liability.

One of my bikes has a Sargent seat on it. I had it done over ten years and 50,000 miles ago. It still looks great. It shows no wear at all. If I send them a good pan with a duct tape cover $300 or so, should get me a very nice custom seat to my own specification. If I have any difficulty, I'm dealing with a known reputable company doing the work in Jacksonville, FL. Just a thought.

Sargent policy for alterations:

Hey Jetmechmarty, in the picture the red bike "277* Scout" (great looking bike) looks like it has Norton peashooter style mufflers on it? If that is the case, are you pleased with them, easy install, jetting changes etc? I've been contemplating putting them on my '75, if I don't use those it will be MikesXS Commando pipes but I really like the look of peashooters.

Regarding the seat department, I've currently got the factory '75 seat pan in being sandblasted. The plan is to get it cafe style like the one in the picture from Veitnam. I'm contemplating doing it myself, I have read several threads on here about redoing seats and some of them look really good, not to mention the $$ saved. (hopefully) Also, before it is permenently covered you can test ride it and adjust as required if necessary.

And just in case anyone else needs to know, I just got a seat from a '78, "Special" I think, didn't see the bike. The seat is in fantastic condition but I was uncertain if it would fit on the '75 frame. The seller let me take it and try it. Just pulled the hinge pins, removed original seat (pan now being sand blasted), lined up the hinges on the '78seat and replaced the pins. Fits better than the original I took off.

Yamimoto

Hey Jetmechmarty, in the picture the red bike "277* Scout" (great looking bike) looks like it has Norton peashooter style mufflers on it? If that is the case, are you pleased with them, easy install, jetting changes etc? I've been contemplating putting them on my '75, if I don't use those it will be MikesXS Commando pipes but I really like the look of peashooters.

Regarding the seat department, I've currently got the factory '75 seat pan in being sandblasted. The plan is to get it cafe style like the one in the picture from Veitnam. I'm contemplating doing it myself, I have read several threads on here about redoing seats and some of them look really good, not to mention the $$ saved. (hopefully) Also, before it is permenently covered you can test ride it and adjust as required if necessary.

And just in case anyone else needs to know, I just got a seat from a '78, "Special" I think, didn't see the bike. The seat is in fantastic condition but I was uncertain if it would fit on the '75 frame. The seller let me take it and try it. Just pulled the hinge pins, removed original seat (pan now being sand blasted), lined up the hinges on the '78seat and replaced the pins. Fits better than the original I took off.

Yamimoto

Correction, I think the seat pan is going to be blasted with glass bead not sand.
Yamimoto

Yamimoto

The Scout 277 is not mine. It is a real nice bike for sure. I believe the pipes were Bub, or at least the headers were. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

If you got a seat from a '78 Special and it fit your '75, either the seat wasn't or your bike isn't. If you take a seat from a '78 Special and pin it to the hinges on the '75, the seat will not be on straight and the latch will not line up. The Special seat doesn't fit a standard. If the seat looks like the one on the bike pictured below, it is likely '79 standard.

2005_0509_055145AA.JPG

The Scout 277 is not mine. It is a real nice bike for sure. I believe the pipes were Bub, or at least the headers were. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

If you got a seat from a '78 Special and it fit your '75, either the seat wasn't or your bike isn't. If you take a seat from a '78 Special and pin it to the hinges on the '75, the seat will not be on straight and the latch will not line up. The Special seat doesn't fit a standard. If the seat looks like the one on the bike pictured below, it is likely '79 standard.

2005_0509_055145AA.JPG

Thanks for enlightening me and the exhaust info. Very nice '79 in the picture. What you saying makes sense, I did not expect that seat to fit and was surprised that it did. The bike and seat in question are in the picture below. The reason I thought it likely came from a Special is because I saw the tank that came off the same bike and it was a Special tank. I should take more heed of what I have read on this forum many times and that is because a bike has certain parts on it does not necessarily mean anything about the year of the bike. These are old bikes and may have had many things changed.:banghead:

Attachments

• IMG-20140121-00181.jpg
    IMG-20140121-00181.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 219
The seat on the pictured bike was made by Corbin over 10 years ago. It's every bit as nice up close as it is in the pictures. The bike is not mine. It belongs to one of my friends. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

My_Bikes_063.jpg
cs20.jpg
cs21.jpg
......................................... hi that corbin seat looks absolutely sweet ,,great buying ,,the bike looks magic regards oldbiker

Back