Texavina Seat - Fitment Issue

Gigemags05

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I purchased a seat from Texavina for my 1978 special. I was told that the seat would fit directly. However, I just received it and the pan is as pictured below. My bike has no existing seat, so I do not have a pan. But from my research online, this pan looks nothing like the factory one. There are no holes or provisions for the side hinges or latch. There is also a bracket that fits over the two long studs at the bottom of this picture. But those studs interfere with the rear fender and there is nothing for that bracket to attach to. Lastly, the "forks" at the front of the seat I received appear to slide under the frame to secure the front of the seat. This is not like the factory seat either.

Is there a way to make this seat work? How would it be mounted and removed as needed?

I read nothing but great reviews about Texavina, and I do think the seat looks nice and is quality. But I am disappointed that it isn't a direct bolt on ala factory as I was led to believe. I even specifically asked if it would match up to my hinge locations on the frame and was told that it would.
Seat.jpg

It definitely matches the newer model pans from what I can tell.

Is there anything I can do to make this one work properly? Even if it hinges from the rear? I have no hinges or hardware since my bike did not come with a seat. I am not afraid to fabricate something, but I don't see how that would work.

This is from a 81 special. Similar but different. Only 1 stud on each side in the rear on his.
I'm sure someone will come along with a pic of a 78 special seat.
1700779161566.png

how does that 81 seat mount/function/operate? Is it hinged? How does it latch in the front if so?

I think I can make my seat work if I can figure out how that particular pan worked. Thank you for the picture, btw.

The front slides through brackets on the frame.
1700779605959.png

The rear also has brackets
1700779659072.png

Right side below. Under the frame is a lever that releases the spring loaded hooks on the seat to remove it.
1700779707004.png

Left below.
1700779768215.png

FYI: Tex (from Texavina) just called me and responded to my questions. He offered to replace the seat with one that would fit properly on my bike, but also gave me ideas to make this one fit, as one that is a direct fit would have a wider pan, etc

VERY responsive and helpful. Great customer service.

They do say it's not a direct replacement but can be made to fit.

1700780568198.png

Yes I read that note and had an email string with him asking a lot of questions and he stated it would fit. However, I think our wires were just crossed. I’m going to bet it was me who made the incorrect assumption.

Either way, he offered to make it right in my eyes, which is all you can ever ask for. I am going to make this one work since a.) it is most likely my error, b.) I like the seat I got. And c.) pretty simple mod to make. I will be making other mods anyways so no real extra time or money.

The stock Special metal sidecovers will look wonkey with that flat seat line.....no sidecovers, no problem.
Other opinions may vary.
It is pretty simple to make Standard side covers fit if you are already making a rear mounting bracket for the seat.

Back