Anyone ever own a BSA?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I had an uncle who was something of a rebel. Big British bike guy, he went through several Triumphs and Norton’s even Ariel’s . He would come thundering into the neighborhood, often with a friend riding his own Norton and I can remember it impressing the hell out of 13 year old me. but the bikes that always stood out in my memory we’re those chrome tanked BSA’s with the sunburst emblem on the tanks. He must’ve went through three of those. Those bikes just had the sound and the look down!
521A84A1-8FA7-4332-B020-6E5ADF12B448.jpeg
6018FD90-BE09-47B9-8369-262009B14BBE.jpeg

I got all hot and bothered about thirteen years ago to find and buy one for myself. The Spitfires had become too collectible, most of them these days only change hands at collectors auctions, so I set my sights on an A65 Firebird Scrambler, they didn’t exactly grow on trees either. I used to go to the local mini mart store and get the latest monthly installment of Walnecks Classic Cycle Trader magazine, remember those?
AE2CFBC4-E186-4D79-AC17-54D0D14ED3E6.jpeg

I would carry those magazines around in my back pocket and wear out the pages looking at those grainy black and white photos, reading and re reading the ads. Almost without exception, everything was out of state, nothing was ever for sale in Arizona.
F43F997D-B48E-4BA4-B28D-AF719E308E90.jpeg
D544EA31-A7D5-4B28-9E0E-625A662AEE4F.jpeg
1D4A2FF6-CCED-43FD-9F3A-636DE520CE7D.jpeg

Then one day an ad popped up here, less than twenty miles from my house. Not a scrambler but an A65 street bike. I went to see it, it looked exactly like this.
AFEEAB7E-E9DF-49D3-B83B-FF1BDFF40E36.jpeg

It was beautifully restored, a 650, but with a story and some baggage that came with it. When he found it the seller told him that it was an exceedingly rare 750. BSA made a special run of only 200 bikes to sell in the USA so that they could qualify to run that displacement in races here. The old guy I went to see saw dollar signs dancing in his eyes , bought the bike and then spared no expense to have it professionally restored.
THEN he finds out that the papers had been forged and the serial numbers tampered with. They pulled the motor apart and measured the bore and stroke and sure enough it was a very common 650, worth a fraction of what he had in it, and now he was stuck with a bogus bike with forged paperwork. This is the bike that he THOUGHT he was buying.
E977A0B7-1947-4379-B3D0-837DE3CAB7A8.jpeg

Well I did make the drive over to look at it, and the guy was practically desperate to sell it. He started it up and I looked at it, but decided it was too much hassle.

I never did find me a BSA. In the back of one of those Walneck Cycle Traders, I came across a dealer in Iowa, Baxter Cycles, a real straight shooter, I wound up buying a 1976 Triumph Bonneville T-140V from him. It was a great bike and in hindsight probably the better bike. BSA crankshafts rode on plain bearings and had a reputation for oil starvation and spinning those bearings. But I gotta tell you, I still get warm fuzzies thinking about that Firebird........

So did any of you ever own one?

Had a 441 Victor back in the early seventies when I lived in England. I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford and lived right next to Silverstone's race track. For about a year she was my daily driver to work and back. Actually, it was a pretty reliable bike. Don't remember the year now... I think it was a 67 or 68.

Being a big bore one lunger, gettin' her running was something you approached with a purpose... even then she could get nasty. Drill went like this... give the Amal a tickle or three... give her two or three kicks. Give it another tickle.... turn the key on, take a deep breath, raise up as high as you could... and kick for all you were worth. She'd usually come alive on the first kick. Not infrequently however.... she'd try to flip you back over the handlebars. To this day I believe she had something to do with me gettin' an aftermarket knee a few years back.

I'm with you Bob... I absolutely love the chrome tanks.

Had a 441 Victor back in the early seventies when I lived in England. I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford and lived right next to Silverstone's race track. For about a year she was my daily driver to work and back. Actually, it was a pretty reliable bike. Don't remember the year now... I think it was a 67 or 68.

Being a big bore one lunger, gettin' her running was something you approached with a purpose... even then she could get nasty. Drill went like this... give the Amal a tickle or three... give her two or three kicks. Give it another tickle.... turn the key on, take a deep breath, raise up as high as you could... and kick for all you were worth. She'd usually come alive on the first kick. Not infrequently however.... she'd try to flip you back over the handlebars. To this day I believe she had something to do with me gettin' an aftermarket knee a few years back.

I'm with you Bob... I absolutely love the chrome tanks.

I had a Yamaha XT500 also, even though it was a kick start, they had a pretty sophisticated procedure. You would press down on the kick starter until you came up on compression, then return the kick starter back to the top and pull the compression release and slowly push the kick starter down until it was parallel to the ground , at that point hit engine was in the perfect position to start. Raise your kick starter again release the compression release and give it a mighty stomp. Usually it would fire off with one kick.
On the head, in the right side, right at the end of the cam was a little glass window. When you had the crank in just the right spot a shiny spot would appear in the window. Haha! Of course that did you no good at night!

Had a '68 Trunch Bonneville and sold a few BSAs working the sales floor of a Honda-BSA dealer, but never owned a Beezer. Bought the Bonneville new. Even so it took an hour of work for every two hours of riding to keep that beast running clean.

Yeah starting that Triumph was like knowing a secret handshake. A lot of ritual involved, tickling the Amals was always fun, I couldn’t go anywhere without my fingers smelling like gasoline, and the cases were always stained with gas, but that bike had charm.
It’s funny you mention how hard it was to keep clean, but I had this ritual, return from a ride and grab a shop towel and wipe down the case seams and the underneath. It was the only way to keep it looking nice!

Friend of mine had a late-60s starburst-emblemed BSA 650. Nice bike, but, being early '70s, was considered somewhat of a dog compared to the onslaught of superbikes. Worked on a few at the shop, just maintenance stuff. When asking for an oil and filter change, shoulda seen the looks on customers' faces when informed that the engine would have to be split to clean the sludge trap in the crank.

I had an MX-500, similar to this pic:
BSA-B50-MX500.jpg

Compression release. Use it, or you die...

Never owned a Brit bike, but sure lusted after them in my yute. Older brother had a Bonnie, would have been '66 or '67. I thought that was the baddest bike on the planet.

640px-1974-Yamaha-SC500-Yellow-9388-0.jpg

Did own a Yamaha SC500 exactly like the picture. 2-smoke single. Scary amounts of power and not nearly enough frame or suspension to handle it. An absolute joy to ride in a straight line, corners not so much. Yamaha couldn't get them to handle either and scrapped the idea after a couple of years or so. You definitely wanted to let it know you were the Alpha Dog when starting it too. Stiff boots with steel arch inserts recommended...

Yup kid in high school had a chrome tank, star burst, red Beeza. The 305 scrambler seemed pale next to it.
Bought a 500 Goldie scrambler, mag, aluminum tank, GP carb $80 got it running and kinda street legal, rode it one summer. sold it for $175.

One of the guys in my local chapter of the Can. Vintage MC Group (www.cvmg.ca) has about 3-4 BSA Gold Stars (I think late 1950s-early 1960s) - plus a big Triumph (not sure of the model) from around 1998 that he only rides in the rain. Those Gold Stars are really something - they're all beautifully turned out and start, generally, on the first or second kick and they're LOUD. He just had an artificial knee installed - he says specifically so that he can start his bikes. He can ride the wheels off them and they seem to be very steady handlers and pretty fast. He even brings along his Mrs. two-up on the Goldie occasionally.

He's an older British guy - a tool & die maker by trade - so none of the parts issues or making things causes him any grief. I think he even makes a lot of the bearings for the engines - and what he cannot make, he can still source fairly easily.

It does seem to me though that all the Brit-bike guys in the group (BSA / Triumph / Norton / A.J.S. / Matchless etc.) seem to spend a LOT of time fixing and not so much time riding.

Hmmmm....:whistle:

Bob, I didn't mean it was a lot of work to keep the Trunch looking clean, I meant it was a lot of work to keep it running clean. Starting was never a problem. It was my only transportation, and I had a 4 mile daily ride to campus (U of I Urbana-Champaign). That beast would fire at 10* F.

I've bought a couple in my days but never kept them. The first (if memory serves correct) was a '68 lightning that I bought roughly 20 years ago. It was a complete runner i snagged for $600 from a guy that knew a guy. It was one of those deals where I was young and didn't know what I had. It would have been a pretty easy resto had i known what i was doing. I ended up losing my job and had to flip it to my rommmate for a few hundred profit to pay the bills.

The second one I bought was a barn find from a coworker. He and his son had gotten it from his uncle and was supposed to be a father/son project. I always told him that when he was ready to sell to let me know. Years later after I had transferred to a different division, I ran into him again and he asked if I was still interested. His kid had gone to college and he was tired of walking around it in his garage. I picked it up for another cool $600, the only kicker was it had no title. It was another complete '68, but pretty crusty. I tried to get paperwork a couple times, but never came through. I held on to it for a couple years, as I was in no position financially to start a restoration at that time. I ended up selling it for $800 on CL, as I too got tired of walking around it. My timing was right, because about a year later a tree fell through my storage building that it sat in and would have been crushed. Here is the only picture I have of it.

Attachments

• 20140408_191844.jpg
    20140408_191844.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 387
When I was a teen in the 70’s there was a motocross park outside of the edge of town that was part of the Phoenix parks system, pay admission and they had a couple tracks there.
I was there riding my dirt bike one day and I saw this guy with one leg riding a BSA single around the track. I went over and talked to him.
He was a VietNam vet who lost his left leg in the war. The BSA had a right side shift which allowed him to ride it. He was pretty good too.
His buddy would start it for him and hold it until he got on and then off he’d go.
That guy had a pretty great attitude and he was having a blast riding that BSA.

Speaking of motocross. Anyone remember the CCM? Clews Cimpetition Machines, when BSA’s Racing collapsed, a fellow named Clews bought up all their inventory and started making world class competition MX open class bikes. I got to see them go head to head with the best of Japanese and European two strokes for the world championship in 1974 I think? Anyways they sounded so cool and were every bit as fast as the two strokes.

Never owned a Brit bike, but sure lusted after them in my yute. Older brother had a Bonnie, would have been '66 or '67. I thought that was the baddest bike on the planet.

640px-1974-Yamaha-SC500-Yellow-9388-0.jpg

Did own a Yamaha SC500 exactly like the picture. 2-smoke single. Scary amounts of power and not nearly enough frame or suspension to handle it. An absolute joy to ride in a straight line, corners not so much. Yamaha couldn't get them to handle either and scrapped the idea after a couple of years or so. You definitely wanted to let it know you were the Alpha Dog when starting it too. Stiff boots with steel arch inserts recommended...

I had the opportunity to ride its little brother the 360, I thought THAT bike was fast. I can’t imagine that 500!

Back