Anyone remember a specific 80's aftermarket luggage rack?

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I bought and read almost all issues of Cycle Magazine and Cycle World during the 80's and 90's.
Ads for one particular aftermarket luggage rack stuck in my memory, as it was unusual in its design.
It had alloy side plates in a kind of swoopy shape. Horizontal top of course, and the bottom edge tapered upwards towards the tail. Sort of resembling the Z1/ Z900/ KZ1000 ducktail, just larger in scale. Definitely a sporty kind of luggage rack.
Do any of you remember this particular item? Or even have a copy of an old ad for this? Or a picture of a bike with this rack?

Not that rack. Have a partial pic of a luggage rack that had a sliding back rest. Can see the open tube facing the front where the sliding part went into

picture.php2.jpg

I don't recall seeing what you're describing, for XS650 at least. I did lots of shopping for them. The only sort of side panels I know of was ones meant to bolt a backrest to. A big maker was AMCO if it helps. Beware not all racks fit all years.

Dsci0934a.jpg

Just what I was looking for! Thanks a lot!
Like the CW article stated, it definitely had its shortcomings. Which can easily be rectified if one.was to fabricate something similar. The absence of a grabrail is an advantage when strapping down a duffel bag lengthwise. Which is preferable when riding solo, both for weight distribution and aerodynamics😁
I have a large waterproof bag big enough to hold my hiking tent, sleeping bag, foam mat,cooker, and a little bit more. With a tank bag in addition, I can carry all necessities for touring. Did that a lot on the Ducati Monster, which is less suitable for touring than the XS.

Back