anyone use stock tank

I threw the stock tank on shortly after I got mine to the roller stage, just to see how it looked. It came off shortly after. :laugh:

SDC12043.jpg

Kent

Kent - What tires (not just the rims) are those? I like them.

Ha! Those were on the bike when I got it, and the front really needs to be replaced as there is an awful gouge in it. Front is an Avon Roadrunner, I believe, and the rear is some Cheng Shin or some cheapo like that.

Kent

Hey JERM,
I like the bike. Just stuck new handlebars like yours on my bike. The brake line and cables are to long now. I'm just starting out on mine so any info on shortening would be great. Thanks for the tach.

Hey JERM,
I like the bike. I stuck new hbars on like yours which makes it look much better I think. Course the lines and cables are to long now. Any info on what you did to shorten would be appreciated. Thanks for the tach.

To shorten brake lines is to replace the line with a shorter one.
The cables, if the ends are brass and soldered on, pull the inner cable to one end and measure how much hangs out, you need this when you shorten the inner cable, you can unsolder the end pull the inner cable out of the housing.
Pull one of the metal ends off the housing, be care full you want to use it again. Now with lower end in place and threaded under the tank right, lay the cable along side the upper attachment point with enough length to turn the bars full left and right with out binding or pulling. Mark the housing at the attachment point.
I use a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool to cut the housing straight and flat. Reinstall the metal end.
Feed the inner cable back in the housing. Now is where the measuring comes in. With it pulled to one end, measure the same distance as you measured at first. Resolder the end on the cable to match the measurement.
Now if you did things right the cable will be the right length and it won't bind or pull when you steer.
Having the throttles suddenly accelerate on a slow turn is not the most fun you can have.
Good luck. It's easier to just buy shorter cables.

Oh, I have stock tanks on all my bikes. I haven't cut them up so they are pretty much stock and look good and ride good that way.

I just bougt a new brake line from 650 central and a new brake line from mikes. Mmm has good pictures, measurements, and routing info.

Back