Skewed tank filler fix ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've bought another '70 to '72 fuel tank.
It's got some issues that you'd expect with a fifty year old tank, but one thing that I never spotted before bidding was that an impact on the filler cap has bent the filler over about 10° to the left.
Having had some previous experience with these tanks, I know that those little alloy lugs for the filler cap are VERY fragile, and can't be used as a leverage point.
So I'm just wondering if I can devise something to pull this bit straight without damaging that fragile alloy casting ?
Sheet metal work really isn't my thing, but I'm open to any sensible suggestions
20240125_200534.jpg

That will work !
Many thanks !
Not sure if I'll need to bias the slide hammer effort to the left, or just a straight pull in the middle.
I'll just have to take it easy, and see how it goes.
The tank is now plastered with a thick coating of paint stripper, it will probably take a week for me to get it absolutely paint and bondo free.
Then I'll try to pull the filler straight

Not sure if I'll need to bias the slide hammer effort to the left, or just a straight pull in the middle.
I'll just have to take it easy, and see how it goes.
Yeah, the tank will let you know what it wants. If that's biased to one side, roll with it.
You might find it lifts the opposite side a tad. If it does, set a piece of wood on it and ((gently) tap it back down.
Let us know how it shakes out?

Back