Battery Box

Wally

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im going to a capacitor instead of a battery,,replacing battery with a capacitorI know I can now loose the safty switch but this little unit on the back of the battery box does anyone know if with this set up, can i loose this as well.

XS pm batteryless

...when I did my conversion I wired up batteryless...take the 3 white wires from the alternator to a rec/reg...from the rec/reg then comes a positive and a negative...the neg goes to earth and the pos to a capacitor-min 10000µf and 25 volt-get the capacitor with the screw type terminals...the capacitor has 2 poles-neg goes to earth again-pos has both in-from the rec/reg-and out-to the fusebox...look at the newer ktm offroaders or a wiring diagram for one, they use this system-in fact if you find a wrecked one you can get the capacitor complete with the rubber mounts and the mount bracket...this simplifies the standard wiring and in fact you can remove all the extra safety relays etc completely...another alternative is to replace the original battery with a small gel type...once again it gets rid of the old battery box, at the same time you can remove all the unneccesary relays etc...I folded up a 5mm alu plate that fixes to the same mounts as the battery box under the seat-this holds all the electrics and makes a nice clean space under the seat especially when the filter boxes are replace with conical air filters...

...remember though that like the zenor diodes from old british systems, rec/regs translate excess power into heat so MUST be mounted somewhere that gets constant air flow to cool it... I fixed the rec/reg to the plastic lower rear guard-after reinforcing the other side...

...as the alternator is permanent magnet you dont need a battery to kickstart the bike...as soon as it moves it is generating power...allows you to remove the starter motor too also saving more weight...as these are relatively useless anyway there is no great loss...actually there is a great weightloss gain-no battery-no battery box-no complicated relays and relay wiring-no starter motor...and a way better power source...you can only win...

Attachments

• P4120175.jpg
    P4120175.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 191
Well anyhow got Battery box & Regulator Rectifier fitted today.
Seems to take forever some times to sort out where to put things them manufacture brackets then fit it then pull it off modifier it fit it then of again until your happy with it.

Still wondering about the unit on the back of the battery box any help please on what it does

Attachments

• P4120178.jpg
    P4120178.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 166
  • P4120179.JPG
    P4120179.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 141
now I'm lost or missed something
Wally said"...as the alternator is permanent magnet you dont need a battery to kickstart the bike"... or has it been modded??

On the permanet maget alternator conversion you can run with or with out a battery. If you choose to run with out a battery the electric starter won't work, so most take the starter out and kick start only.
The stock alternator needs a battery to make electricity. The permanent magnet alternators don't and they make enough electricity to run the ignition with out the battery.

XSLeo, just to clarify, on the pm conversion do you still require a capacitor in place of the battery for the initial start up?

Eckl, I'm not sure what you mean by initial start up. The first start in the morning?
When using the capacitor the p/m alternator make plenty of elecricity to start the bike. If tuned well on the first kick.
The capacitor replaces the battery completely. on Initial start up and any time the bike is running.
Often when you first set up the P/M alternator it's a good idea to hook up just the ignition to a battery seperate from the rest of the electrical system. If the regulator isn't right it can send a spike into the electical system and cook your electronic ignition. the spike can often reach 20 volts or better.
If you have a meter on the cap to check voltage on the first start up to be sure the reg is working right and you can see that it's working right then you can hook the ignition to the bikes electrical and be ok.
I hope that answers your question Eckl.

I missed he was running a P/M setup.:doh:
on other note I run big caps on my HHO gen and hauling it around with my caps' on thier side they didn't last long. Just a fyi:shrug: not sure it it was being on thier side or my driving....

Yup, that answers my question! I should have just stated 'start up' and not initial...

Back