battery eliminator capacitor

Did a Google search Triumph Ignition Capacitor and the link to ebay popped up along with some other sources

My knowledge of Lithium batteries on motorcycles is purely from ready.

Regarding the addition of a small battery: Check first if your rectifier/regulator is suitable for Lead or Lithium. For Lead the output voltage will be in the range 14.2 - 14.7Volts which is too high for Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries and could give you minor or extreme trouble depending on your luck. Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries use a regulator that puts out 14.0 +/- 0.2 Volts.

Note: Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries have advantages over the older Lithium Ion type. Lithium batteries should have a Battery Management System (BMA or Bma) to give balanced charging and over/under voltage charge/discharge protection. Lead batteries are still the standard and not to be ignored completely.

that's good information, thanks. i'm leaning toward replacing the capacitor with a small lead battery. i'm tired of capacitors; i don't know enough about them. it'll still be kick start only so i don't need to worry about a huge battery box...

You can test capacitors with an old style analog multimeter. Charge the cap up by touching the wires to a fully charged battery, then set your meter on "volts" and touch the leads to the capacitor wires. The needle jump up to indicate voltage, then drop, as the cap discharges.

Back