Bike dies when I turn bars...

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It used to do it to the left and then it did it to the right. And now I can't find it. What could it be? This is bugging me. I can't find any wires touching. I untaped and retaped everything. Help!

Posted via Mobile

I bet you have a broken wire somewhere in the harness close to the neck stem. It makes contact when the bike is going straight, but stretches a bit and loses contact when you turn the handlebars. Check the red and brown wires from the ignition switch back. Before you do that double check your main fuse and the fuse block to eliminate that as a possibility.

mine was doing this too, check your wiring again but more thoroughly, its in there somewhere. probably a good opportunity to get rid of the tape too.

I don't have a fuse block. It's one fuse on a wire going to the pos post on the battery. And that's another thing I was going to ask. What can I do besides wrapping all my wires in tape? There's like 6 wires that wouldn't have anything covering them. And it looks neater with tape. I'm gonna cut it all off again tomorrow and start over checking. If it's not one thing it's something else...

Posted via Mobile

save yourself the headache and replace the entire harness with a brand new one, or rewire it yourself. You will be forever chasing gremlins with the old crappy harness.

What harness? My bike is not stock. And neither is the wiring. My wiring is probably less stock than the rest of my Bike. Haha...

Posted via Mobile

I had the same problem and it turned out that a couple of wires in my tach had worn through and were grounding out. My suggestion is to trace the gauges and then if you can't find a problem pop the tach/speedo and see what you got.

You know what? I bet it's that. The other night my lights in my gauges went out, flickered, and came back on. I would tap Them but nothing would change. It would just come back on whenever it wanted. That may save me a lot of trouble. I didn't even know there was anything in there that would make the bike turn off on it's own.

And hopefully nobody thought i was trying to be a jerk by how I answered. I need all the help I can get and i don't wanna make anyone mad. All of my connections are bullet connectors and I soldered all the ones that seem loose, or didn't get crimped very well. Then I make sure no wires are touching by wrapping each one with tape then wrapping them all together. It looks neater but it still is a big thick rope of wires. Too bad I can't make my bike wireless like everything else is. Haha...

Posted via Mobile

Instead of tape...go to Radioshack and get yourself a pack of heat shrink tubing. It is much better than taping and looks a lot better too. Tape works in a pinch but the heat shrink is better.

my dad was telling me about heat shrink too. im gonna go to radio shack today. i couldnt find whatever it was last night. im going to actually take the tach/speedo apart today and check better. i keep finding stuff and im sure its that and i fix it and it still happens. i wish i could just rewire all of it...

Not the tach or speedo and not the ignition. Gotta be the wires. It never had a problem before. I just wanna ride. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted via Mobile

Guy goes to his mechanic and he says "Help help, my bike dies whenever I do this!"
Mechanic turns to him and says "So, don't do that."

Hahaha. Ill just ride straight then. Haha. I think I may have found the problem. I soldered another connection (brown wire) and it seems like the dying went away. But, that same thing happened yesterday. Then came back after I taped it back up. I would rather be able to ride and have messy wires but I'd prefer not to. We'll see. Thanks for the help guys...

Posted via Mobile

The soldered connection may have been jumping to a ground/frame, so taping it made a barrier.
When I got my bike the wiring looked like someone threw three five pairs of shoes in the dryer and left it on for a week... (shoe lace hell) so I feel your pain. Hope she stays running now :D

It's been good so far. Waiting on my new tank from
Powdercoating. That's about it for now...

Posted via Mobile

Back