Bike dies while idling

Exitaph

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm loving my 77 650 as my first bike. I've done a few repairs and restored the carbs as well as re-jetted them after putting on some pod air filters. And now it runs great. But after about 20-40 minutes of riding I'll go to stop at a red light or a stop sign and it'll just die.

I can sometimes get it started again right away, sometimes only with the choke and other times only with out it. But when I shift into 1st and start riding it dies. At first I thought it might be the battery so I got a new one, but it didn't fix it. At least I have a brand new modern battery now though.

Could it be the alternator? Maybe I need a bigger pilot jet since it only dies while idling? But it idles fine for quite a while so maybe that's not it?

And yes I've read the carb guide. (Probably not enough times though)

TLDR; Bike dies after 20-40 minutes of riding, don't know why.

Throw a voltmeter on your battery and check the voltage at 3k rpms. Should be around 14-14 .5V. If not start reading the charging systems guide in the tech section.

Fully trickle charge the battery.
Check the gas cap vent.
Look at the plugs.
Have you checked the alternator brushes?
Check, clean all electrical connections, grounds too. The battery ground strap is often rotted.

Back