Bonfire Night

Thanks mate. Not sure it will mean a lot to our overseas friends, but I may be wrong...

Guy Fawkes was always a big party night in Newfoundland. Some epic bonfires next to the sea. Seen nothing like it since I left many years ago.

Thanks mate. Not sure it will mean a lot to our overseas friends, but I may be wrong...

Ady,
With the 24/7 news channels after every bit of news or story I am sure that in the west anyway a lot of people are now aware that we burn a effigy of a bloke (Guy Fawkes) who tried to blow up the Houses Parliamentent up in 1607 with barrels of Gunpowder,

what I would give to get rid of the Lying cheating robbing dishonest selfish set of b@st@rds (Politician's) we have lining their own nests in the Houses of parliement in 2011 A modern day Guy Fawkes would be the peoples hero LOL:laugh:.

We where in Lincoln last night at the big bonfire, and we noticed a few American families (Possibly American Servicemen) and even more European families (Polish and alike) and even Muslim families.

Leslie

I stand corrected! Nice to know that effigy burning is still popular around the world:D

Sometimes I think Guy Fawkes and his buds were way ahead of their time.
guy_fawkes_mask.png

Macca,
I am surprised the French Canadians allowed you to celebrate a British tradition:D

Leslie

The French are good people with many interesting old traditions of their own. It's a pity there was such a divide amongst us all.

Besides, we were way on our own out in the ocean where the sea monsters lived. Everyone pretty much figured we were all insane and left us alone. Our provincial flag was the Union Jack until 1982. The population there was about 95% descended from the British Isles, so it was no wonder.

I hate Nov 5th & the week leading up to it ..Local yobos running round our village letting off bangers & airbombs til the early hours - GROW UP..:wtf:.
I had to go along to our village firework display yesterday for the sake of my youngest daughter, frigging boring & a complete rip-off,£5 a head for something we couldve seen from our back garden..
rant over:mad:

My last house backed up on the local municipal center. Over here every 4th of July we celebrate kicking out the Limeys :wink2::laugh: and there's a huge professional fireworks display done there. I used to invite all my buddies over and we'd sit in lawn chairs, drink beer, tell lies and watch the fireworks for free.

Back