Boyer Ignition

Superjet

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Simple question. Does the Boyer system require running the coil from their kits? Or can a regular coil from a TCI ignition work? Should be wired the same way to the coil right? 1-12v feed to primary and other is signal from box? Thanks JC

Coil selection depends on the Boyer unit you're using. Micro Digital and earlier boxes use coils with primary resistance of 3.5 to 5 ohms. Current Micro Power boxes require a low resistance coil: 0.6 ohms. You're correct re. wiring: one terminal to 12V, other terminal to signal from box.

Thank you Grizld! I see kits with the coil and without...i was not certain if it was similar to other setup which can use the oem coil electronic ignition. I wondered why the coil with th boyer setup was so small i guess due to low resistance.

BTW if you have a Micro Power box with no coil, quite a few 0.6 ohm dual tower coils are available and can be used. To put it mildly, the Gill coil provided by Boyer doesn't have the best reputation.

BTW if you have a Micro Power box with no coil, quite a few 0.6 ohm dual tower coils are available and can be used. To put it mildly, the Gill coil provided by Boyer doesn't have the best reputation.
Any one in particular that you have had good luck with?

Back