Brake questions

curt698

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have swapped the front end and my manuals don't have any info on the disk brakes so I'm flying blind. The new forks are NOT leading axle (or what ever you call it) so.....is it dealers choice on wether the caliper is above or below the fork? I prefer the look of having the the caliper down lower behind the fork. Also it looks like the brake pads sort of float in the caliper? The pads didn't seem to click into place like car brakes, am I missing something? Oh last question, seem to be three threaded holes on the lower tree, which one is for the brake union?

Thanks guys,
Dave

The new forks are NOT leading axle
- i dont think any of the XS650 models had leading axle forks

is it dealers choice on wether the caliper is above or below the fork? I prefer the look of having the the caliper down lower behind the fork.
- the XS has had both...the early 34mm fork with the 298mm disc were leading...the 34mm european XSB with the 2 x 267mm discs were following...the XSC, 298mm single disc, 34mm was also following...the subsequent 35mm fork, single 298mm disc and twin 267mm and single 267mm disc were all following

it looks like the brake pads sort of float in the caliper?
- up to the XSC the caliper and pads were fixed, after that the pads and saddle floated in the caliper body

Oh last question, seem to be three threaded holes on the lower tree, which one is for the brake union?

- mine bolts into the middle one and lays over the right hand one

Hey everybody!! Just a simple question here! What would cause the front disc brakes to squeel when the brakes are applied. It is rather loud and it certainly will make people notice you're there (which may be a good thing, right?)? I made sure the discs were clean from grease or fingerprints. Also made sure the pads were clean. Put new pads on a couple of years ago and they squeeled from the start. Do'nt remember what type they were for sure but I'm sure I bought the correct type of pads for this bike. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Waynster

i think it might help to put some coppergrease on the BACK of the pads. (between the pad and the caliper).
on cars it worXS.

grease your slide bolt sleeve, and make sure it moves back and forth freely. #1 cause of squealing is the caliper not being able to move along that, and then the pad hits the rotor at an angle instead of flat.

Putting a slight bevel on the sharp edge of the pad where the rotor enters as it turns helps stop the squeal. I do both edges before I install the pads, that way I can put them in either way. And a bevel is on the rotor entry side.

On the american models. Up to 76 they used a dual piston fixed caliper. In 76 they moved it from in front of the fork to behind the fork. The first year or two they used a rubber mounted rotor. After them up to the 76 models used a two piece fixed rotor. In 77 they went to the single piston floating caliper with a single piece rotor. In 77 they went with the 35mm tubes in the front fork.
The earlier 34 mm front ends with the fixed calipers won't interchange with the later 35 mm fork floating calipers, a different center to center distance of the mounting bolts.
To use the 34 mm forks you need the fixed cliper and the two piece rotor.
to use the 35 mm fork you need to use the floating caliper and single piece rotor.
The two piece rotors had a different offset then the one piece rotor.
I'm not sure that the later 35 mm forks with triple trees is a straight up swap I think the stems are different length. I'm sure someone has done this swap and can better tell you how.
Either way you go for the brakes, swap the old rubber lines to braided stainless steel. This makes the brakes work better and gives better lever feel.
XSLeo

Just noticed you are using an 80 fork. Those are designed with the calipers to the rear of the fork. You can reverse the forks and put them on top but the speedo drive will be on the wrong side and speedos don't work backwards.
I did the same thing on my 75. I'm currently using a 14 mm M/C. With this M/C I can see the rubber hoses flex around as I use the brakes. I have some braided lines ordered.
I had a 16 mm M/C and the hoses didn't flex as much.
I like the more power I get with the 14 mm M/C. 2 mm may not seem like much, but the feel is very much improved. The braided lines can only improve it even more.

grease your slide bolt sleeve, and make sure it moves back and forth freely. #1 cause of squealing is the caliper not being able to move along that, and then the pad hits the rotor at an angle instead of flat.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this right here finally fixed my squealing front brake. I have been cleaning and fighting this stupid thing for months. Damn near Tech Section worthy in my opinion.

Back